South Jersey Off-roading

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
I was curious if anyone on here knows of any South Jersey 4x4 clubs? I would like some info and links to these clubs so I may find some people to go 4-wheeling with so I have someone to pull me out if I get stuck...

Thanks

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
njvike said:
Here are a few. I know that one of them has a meeting once a year in Wharton:

http://www.the-jersey-devil.com/

There's also a Jeep Jamboree that was/is still held in the Pines but you will need to check with Ben on this.
The "meeting" was the first annual Pine Barrens Cleanup. It was attended by more than 130 wheelers from over 10 different clubs from three states. Maybe some of y'all could join us this October. I am an administrator at JD.com

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He gave them 2 hand held radio's I believe.

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
kingofthepines said:
njvike said:
Here are a few. I know that one of them has a meeting once a year in Wharton:

http://www.the-jersey-devil.com/

There's also a Jeep Jamboree that was/is still held in the Pines but you will need to check with Ben on this.
The "meeting" was the first annual Pine Barrens Cleanup. It was attended by more than 130 wheelers from over 10 different clubs from three states. Maybe some of y'all could join us this October. I am an administrator at JD.com

I may just do that this year. If you can post a reminder about a month prior to the project it will certainly help me remember.

Also, what are the three most things you wind up finding?

Can I take a guess?

1) Liquor bottles
2) Ammo
3) Tires

Was I close?

B

bach2yoga

njvike said:
bruset said:
Yup. Didn't even get a mention too. :(

Sorry, I was kind of close.

I don't think he meant you. I might not be remembering correctly, but I think that his name was not mentioned that day when the prizes where doled out, an oversight. I think KingofthePines realized it later and said something about it on this site.
I might be confused though.

njvike said:
Can I take a guess?

1) Liquor bottles
2) Ammo
3) Tires

Was I close?

When you go into the deep pines, hiking off trail, you see very little trash compared to road or trail side. One thing you are almost assured to find though are those dang ballons. :furious:
Side note: When you do find trash it's usually more interesting.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
This post brings back a lot of good memories of an old 4x4 club that I used to hang with called the Mic-Mob in the Medford Lakes area circa 1982. Mic was short for Michelob which was the official club beer of choice.
Occasional official meetings were at the Villa D on 206 (now Tabernacle Inn) and unofficial meetings were every Friday and Saturday nights around a roaring fire on the wooden pole line off of Gravelly hollow road in Medford Lakes.
In '82 there wasn't anything along the pole line and Gravelly Hollow Road was still gravel.
I met a lot of good people in that club and at the time, I only had a 2 wheel drive Ford truck.Since then I am on my third 4x4 F-350 Ford truck.
I used to ride motocross bikes through the pines with a few of the members and we would do combination 4x4 runs and moto runs through the woods. We would have girlfriends meet us at half way points with gas and 2 stroke oil.
We would all get together at the end of the day and camp or just hang out around a fire. I got to know quite a few and a few became life long friends.
Even though it was only 22 years ago (seems like yesterday) it was a different world in the pines.
Nobody bothered you unless you really got out of control and the rangers and local PD's were alot more tolerant of redneck behavior back then.
If I was in my 20's now I'd probably be in jail.
:lol:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That pole road on Gravely Hollow road, or more specifically the stump dump near there was my first run in with the law. We had driven back there in the mid 70's and a vehicle approached with a bunch of men in it, and they warned me that their boss in anther vehicle had just called the Medford police on me. I asked why and they said I had ridden under the high tension tower. When the cops came I asked them to look at the tracks under the tower and compare them with mine, which they would not do. They took my info and said that if there was any damage in the future they would first look at me.

Pole road photo from the 70's.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/poleroad.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Scott,

You reply post to me was lost in the change over, but here is is to refresh.

We used to run that road out to where the line would cross Medford-Jackson road. We used to have the fires about midway down.
One night me and a buddy ran it in from Medford-Jackson Road and got buried in the first 200 yds. We were by ourselves and my friend walked back to Gravelly Hollow and got our buddy Harry who had a deuce and a half with a huge PTO winch.
I stayed with the truck until he got back .
The deuce had no problem winching us and he didn't arrive a moment to soon.

Was Harry's last name Torney?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Piney,

Your reply post was also lost, and here is a refresher.

We probably met during that time. I lived, and still do, right off Tuckerton Road and 8 or 10 guys used to meet at my house every Sunday morning. We would ride down the pole lines to the high-tension line road and end up sometimes in Warren Grove. This was from the mid-70’s and as stated no one bothered you. We even ran organized hare scrambles (Meteor MCC) just over on the pole lines and enduro’s that started at the campground on Jackson road. Now there are million dollar houses right under the high-tension lines. What idiots! The thing to do on Saturday mornings was to load the truck and go to the town dump that was located on Gravely Hollow and then to the stump dump for target practice. It was a lot more fun around here back then.

There is a man who lives right down the street from me who has a Meteor MCC round sticker in his back window of his pickup. I have noticed it for years, and have also noticed him mentioned online. Maybe a founder???

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Reply to Guy;
Yes Guy, that was Harry Torney.
He moved to Pa. for awhile in the 80's with his parents but he is back in the area now. I saw him at a friends house about two years ago.
I also was friendly with his brother Mike who was killed in a freak accident in an old Jeep Commando.
Mike and a friend had welded the spiders inside the diffs, creating a solid spool. They used to run it at Atco Dragway in the Sand Drag events but they also continued driving it on the street too.
Spooled trucks don't like turning corners and one night they turned a sharp corner and the truck rolled onto him killing him.
It was very sad and hard on the family.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Scott,

The sister of a man I work with and grew up next to, is married to Harry Torney (Dad). Actually many years ago Harry Torney (dad) worked for the company I work for. His relatives still live in Cherry Hill on the street where we had our company. The dad is a machinist and had a shop behind the house on GH road, and I was there over 30 years ago with my moms neighbor. He now lives in central PA near NY and built a very large "Barn" for his shop.

I remember my mom getting the phone call about the accident which I believe was on Hawkins road when it was dirt. As you would expect it really hurt the mom and I believe that may be one of the reasons they moved from the area. Just a guess.

We borrowed their "blue canoe" a few times to canoe, one time right after it was painted. Nightmare :)

Guy

JerseyDevil

Scout
Dec 22, 2003
Jackson, NJ
bach2yoga said:
I don't think he meant you. I might not be remembering correctly, but I think that his name was not mentioned that day when the prizes where doled out, an oversight. I think KingofthePines realized it later and said something about it on this site.
I might be confused though.

Well it took a while but i found this post..

Although I didn't get any info from MikeT about the radio's last year untill it was too late to publish it I did most certainly anounce where they were from when I pulled the winning number out of the hat, well mayonaise jar :)

I'll put a few links on my site to make up for it this year ;) last I looked I was at 1.5 million hits a month or so. maybe it'll help you guys out and make up for the hard feelings.

www.The-Jersey-Devil.com

Scott aka JD