South of Atsion Lake

Axeman

Nov 13, 2007
All,
Been lurking or a little while though I would post a question or two about someplace I went yesterday.

My BIL has been talking about spotting a ruffed grouse in the Pines a few years back. Being an avid bird hunter I wanted to see the area. So he tok me off Rt 206, south of Nina's Cafe and the swamp/lake/filled bogs in the right. It is the first dirt road past the lake. Drove in till we hit the RR tracks and Fleming Pike. We then turned back around and parked in a sort of open area with a turn around.

I looked around the area a bit, noticed some cedar's growing where I did not expect then too and spotted to foundations, both cement rectangles about 10ft x 20ft. They were seperated by about 20 yds. I have attached a google image of the area with a location pin.

#1) Anyone know anything about this area and the foundations?

We then walked down a trail toward a creek, headed north then nw and came to where a stream had flooded a bottom out. We startled a flock of ducks, some woodies in the mix as we came out. It looks as if the bridge was taken out a few years back, Stream was about 20ft across, nice depth there and beautiful.

#2) Anyone know this stream?

We then walked back, found a trail heading west, followed it to the RR track and turned back north till we fcame to trestle spanning the creek. I assume it was the same creek.

#3) I would love to hear some info on this area.

By the way, no ruffed grouse, birds or other critters besides the ducks. It was funny, but it was one of those areas where the pines really did seem "barren" of fauna. Only two sets of deer tracks, no fox or rabbit tracks. Did find a great cedar stand with some fantastic blow downs. Got a great walking stick out of a blow down, 6ft long ...3" circum... red cedar. Strong and very lightweight/

Attachments

• foundations.GIF
    foundations.GIF
    90.7 KB · Views: 381

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The area that you found the foundations at is known as Parkdale. Once the JCRR had a station stop there (the station was torched by arsonists in the 1970's). The town itself was a cranberry bog town.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Welcome to the site Axeman. Just to answer the other questions that Ben (bruset) didn't cover:

The first creek you walked to is called the Clark branch. I did an informal fish population inventory there not too long ago. and the Second river was the Sleeper branch. And yes, the trestle went over the Sleeper branch. It is a very cool, wild area in there.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Welcome Axeman. A nice first post.

We have discussed the origin of Parkdale in a previous post at the below link. My photo link in that thread no longer works unfortunately. In any event, Parkdale was a cranberry town owned by Andrey J. Rider of Rider College fame. It was also owned by many other individuals over the years with it eventually ending up as part of Wharton.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=3411&highlight=Parkdale

Here is a photo of I believe the foundations you saw.

Parkdale.JPG

Guy

Axeman

Nov 13, 2007
Wow... great responses. Thank you.

I did not see that foundation,one was a cellar and the other was a slab or elevated, but missed this one.

Those creeks were nice and getting to see such a nice float of wood ducks was well worth the trip.

I hope to be more active on the site. I used to run around the pines alot about 20 years ago, after reading McPhee's book of course, but left and moved to Georgia. I have just moved back and want to share this special area with my two young boys.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Axeman,
Welcome back to N.J. (See guys, sometimes they come back)
Good post and as I am a creature of habit, you tromped in an area that I never tire of. I am jealous as I was not out this weekend at all. The ride along Fleming Pike & Burnt House Road yield nice sites. Those tracks and Trestles just tell wonderful tales. Gotta love the one over the Sleeper. Look at it now and wonder how it ever took a train.
Fauna would be a little lean right about now. Glad you got to see what you did.
Pretty much the other folks gave you the info you needed it seems.
It is funny when ones learns after the fact that they passed right through what once was a small but thriving little area. Guess that's why they call 'em Ghost Towns.
Good luck in your expanding travels.

g.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Wow... great responses. Thank you.

I did not see that foundation,one was a cellar and the other was a slab or elevated, but missed this one.

Those creeks were nice and getting to see such a nice float of wood ducks was well worth the trip.

I hope to be more active on the site. I used to run around the pines alot about 20 years ago, after reading McPhee's book of course, but left and moved to Georgia. I have just moved back and want to share this special area with my two young boys.

Those wood ducks are nice! beautiful. I am sure you are going to have a great time in the woods with your sons.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
welcome axeman! I new this month also. Spent alot of time at Parkdale. I'm thinking the cellar holes you saw were of the packing house. Teegate,s pic was further down towards the tracks. Maybe school house or company store. It is a great place to find cool ruins and try to figure out the history. PS- I took a ruffed grouse off the Rockwood bogs a few years ago.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
hey guys.. per Jeffs directions, i found parkdale today.. i parked at the little clearning w/ the turn around.. and then proceeded up further and crossed over the RR tracks.. it was getting late so i turned around and headed back to 206.

question - after i crossed over the RR tracks, where would i end up if i went right ? left ? I noticed someone mentioned a RR trestle and then possibly another one that crosses over the sleeper bogs ? or maybe it's the same one? if i had gone to the right after crossing the RR tracks, would i have come to the sleeper bogs ? and why are they called the sleeper bogs ? that area was a gem.

and .. this was one of the first time I've been out in the woods in my truck - yes usually it's on my legal dirt bike.. what AMAZED ME while driving and walking was how much TRASH !!!! is out there.. simply floored me. i would say, while on the main roads, at ANY moment, all i had to do was looking 5-10 ft in any direction, and i would see a bottle, a can, a wrapper, a condom (yes, saw one), old tires, bricks, plastic, rusty metal.. really really disappointing..

but finding this area was great.. while i'm not giving up riding, i do want to make a point to take more leisurely drives.. my father would enjoy it.. thanks again Jeff..

Nov 12, 2007
atlantic county
ruffed grouse

My BIL has been talking about spotting a ruffed grouse in the Pines a few years back.

By the way, no ruffed grouse, birds or other critters besides the ducks. It was funny, but it was one of those areas where the pines really did seem "barren" of fauna.

You probably wont see any grouse around here there is very little young growth forest and i think that is the habitat they like best

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
question - after i crossed over the RR tracks, where would i end up if i went right ? left ? I noticed someone mentioned a RR trestle and then possibly another one that crosses over the sleeper bogs ? or maybe it's the same one? if i had gone to the right after crossing the RR tracks, would i have come to the sleeper bogs ? and why are they called the sleeper bogs ? that area was a gem.
but finding this area was great.. while i'm not giving up riding, i do want to make a point to take more leisurely drives.. my father would enjoy it.. thanks again Jeff..

Bob,
Unless I got the direction you came from wrong... A right will head you up towards Goshen and a left would take you out towards Chew road eventually.
Either way, you weren't terribly far from real roads and yet had good riding and scenery to take in regardless of direction. You were very near the Trestles.
There are (2) two Trestles actually back there. One is pretty beat up.
Sleeper Bogs? I always guessed people called them that 'cause they stemmed from the Sleeper Creek. I do not believe that is their proper name though.
Yes, people's carelessness with trash back there sucks. I did not think of that this past cleanup. Maybe next year, although Scott & Bob had mentioned other areas more in need.

I can give you a few particulars on following the Fleming towards Elm where there are good visuals and quiet riding. Also a very nice Trestle crossing the Albertson.

g.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
largo. i think you were spot on in understanding my directions.. and yes, if i went right after the RR tracks, heading twd goshen would make sense, as well as chew rd to the left.. so how do i get to the trestles from there ? head right ? the only trestle ive ever seen in the pines is the one that crosses the mullica river, just down river from atsion. i thought that was the only one.. i love those things . really awesome looking. would appreciate directions to the trestles.. i'll take pics and post them on here.. cheers.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
O.K.,
Let's see if I'm still with you. Thinking if you came in by way of DutchTown, park near the tracks and take a liesurely stroll South on the JCR. You'll be introduced to the one crossing the Sleeper as well as the Clark. If you're taking that little way in closer to Rockwood, you would wind up smack between them, one to the South and one to the North. I feel like there is an issue there though regarding your vehicle access. Go in from Dutchtown I think is best for you.
Make no mistake, these are not like the Atsion trestle. These are smallish. That one is grand where one of these two are downright scary. I sometimes use alternative transportation and have to get very creative in crossing them. Scares my kids. I been wanting to get back there soon and take pics myself, so I'll be looking for yours.
The one way down over the Albertson by Iron Mill is my favorite. It just feels really cool when you're out on it. So as not to burn up the post, I'll P/M you when you're ready to go there.

g.

Axeman

Nov 13, 2007
If you turned right at the RR you would hit the smaller trestle over Sleeper Branch.

Yep, that forest has been growing for a few years now and ruffie like new stuff. Its neat to walk those old tracks with all of the pine trees growing up through the ties and rails.

Next season I will go look for ruffies where the forest fired burned out the area last summer. The new growth might attract some in the winter.