South shore of Atsion Lake

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Is there a way to access the south shore of Atsion lake via Ephriam/Sandy Causeway Road? It looks as though you can turn left onto the unpaved continuation of Raritan Avenue in Atco and pick up one of a few different two tracks that lead to the lake. Just looking for an out of the way picnic spot where I can let the dog off the leash to swim, etc...

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Hey, stay out of my spot !
:)

You are dead on with your theory its just that you can't drive southeast of Salter's Ditch. That bridge has been out for years and I don't think it will ever be replaced.

Here is the end of the line heading southeast on Raritan.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.740046351877005&lng=-74.75632078918454&z=15&type=topo&gpx=

Crud... And I'm guessing the state probably has the other end of the road blocked where it intersects with the park access road?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can get in there when the park is closed for the season. They have hiking trails in the back and on many Sundays they leave the gate open and you can walk or drive right in to the parking area. I was there a month or so ago and a man drove in at sunrise while I was roaming in the woods. We ran into each other and said hello.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
You can get in there when the park is closed for the season. They have hiking trails in the back and on many Sundays they leave the gate open and you can walk or drive right in to the parking area. I was there a month or so ago and a man drove in at sunrise while I was roaming in the woods. We ran into each other and said hello.

I wonder if they'd let me through the gate if I flashed my park pass :D We like to spend nice days at the various lakes/picnic areas in the parks and do our best to seek out some of the more out of the way sites so that we can let the dog run off leash and swim without bothering anyone. We haven't tried this at any of the South Jersey parks yet, but I can tell you where all of the good spots are in Wawayanda, Swartswood, Round Valley, Spruce Run, and Stokes. If anyone has suggestions of other areas in the pines to try I'm all ears.