South Toms River teen’s drowning in Berkeley mining pit deemed accidental, authorities say

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That is sad. does anyone know this pit? I am unfamilar with it. The banks are too steep/fragile to climb out? Is that the danger there?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That is sad. does anyone know this pit? I am unfamilar with it. The banks are too steep/fragile to climb out? Is that the danger there?

It is not far from me, no longer in operation and posted private property. No idea what the conditions there are, but easily seen on a satellite view. That township has been having an ongoing battle with the owner. They want to put up a town center, but too much hazardous waste. The last developer that had interest pulled out recently.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
That township has been having an ongoing battle with the owner. They want to put up a town center, but too much hazardous waste. The last developer that had interest pulled out recently.

To be specific Fisher's pit and the Beachwood shopping mall are NOT related. The superfund site is immediately behind the condemned mall where SBA asphalt was located. From a satellite view it all looks to be the same but in fact is 3 separate owners. You have NJ Pulverizing next to Fisher's.

TurboDan

Aug 11, 2012
Surf City, NJ
Sad !

Noticed the spokesman's name : Al Della Fave.
If memory serves he used to perform similar function in NJ SP.

That is correct. Al came on board about the same time as the new Ocean County prosecutor (Joe Coronato). Al's been great since starting with Ocean County. All of us in the local media have been quite appreciative of his efforts!