Southern Railroad of New Jersey

its really cool , espeacially if you have kids , like i siad i came acrossed it by accident and spent hours there even tho its not very big , i just parked under bridge in the grass and walked around , ill try to pull the coridnates off my gps for anyone who wants to go

yes it is I have been there several times with Bub. I was out there last Saturday night on the way home from Atco. A couple of friends of mine from the Fire Dept. asked me to show them where it was so they could go back another day. I tell you what it has a whole different look at night ,my friends didn't like it at night at all.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
yes it is I have been there several times with Bub. I was out there last Saturday night on the way home from Atco. A couple of friends of mine from the Fire Dept. asked me to show them where it was so they could go back another day. I tell you what it has a whole different look at night ,my friends didn't like it at night at all.

seems like it would creepy and scary at night espeacially with the woods and the old lake behind it

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I wouldn't go around there at night. For one thing there is likely a watchman in the caboose (not the freshly painted one, there's another they use as a shop/office). For another he has a pit bull tied up in the back that didn't seem too happy to see us in the daylight.

I wouldn't go around there at night. For one thing there is likely a watchman in the caboose (not the freshly painted one, there's another they use as a shop/office). For another he has a pit bull tied up in the back that didn't seem too happy to see us in the daylight.

thanks, no im well aware of all that I was just showing them the way. I wasn't to much aware of it 21 years ago though and had to find things out the hard way.:)

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Winslow at Night

Maxwellandson,
it's not that cazy at night. You do have to watch out for the critters, skunks especially, and every now and then someone gets loose from Ancora and ends up at the train yard. But other than that, it's pretty quiet at night. Every now and then you'll catch a coal train heading through and there's a NJT train about every hour or so. Just park where the guy in the caboose, Dave, can see your truck and let him know what your doing. If he thinks your scrapping the equipment he'll call the cops on you even if your not there for that purpose. Here's a link to a set of pictures I took one night out there. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinhooa/sets/72157603977260552/

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Winslow

As for Winslow Junction, I think that place is one of the neatest places in South Jersey. Ever since seeing it out the window of a ride I took on New Jersey Transit in 2003, I knew I had to check this place out and see what was going on. I ended up going back 7 more times before I decided to do a whole project on it that lasted from January of 2006 to January of 2007. I documented the whole SRNJ and the Norfolk Southern, CSX, and Conrail freight that moved through the junction as well as the work that was going on there. I ended up making 63 trips and shoot over 200 rolls of film. That place is neat enough by itself with one visit, but seeing how things change and all the different things that take place there makes it even more interesting. The workers were pretty cool about stuff, and most of them didn't mind me hanging around, even the owner, Joe, after I talked to him about it. 2 of the guys there really disliked me but I got to learn what type of trucks they drove and took my pictures accordingly. I got some crazy equipment set ups, and the project ended with the Conrail guys, Jim & Jim, giving me a ride a couple of times while they switched out the cars. And the funny thing is, I'm really not that crazy of a rail-buff, I just like the type of photography associated with the railroads. If anyone has any questions about the place, I might be able to help. If you go there, just try to park out in the open, or they're rail junk area, and let the people or person there know what your doing. They've had a lot of stuff stolen in the past 3 or 4 years as the price of scrap metal went up and they don't like people lurking around. Here's a link to 12 images of the project (only a sample of everything) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinhooa/sets/72157600745214917/

Kevin

Kevin

bigoldford

Jan 3, 2009
wow this is really cool. I have always been into trains. How do i get out there? I would really like to go look around!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Took the boys to the yard today to kill some time. It was a nice enough day to spend a little out of doors time. Jason is a big train fan and even a bunch of dirty, in & out of use trains in the yard was worth a look to him. Sam is always up for a junket. I got no pics any different than others here so I'll spare you.
Oh.... that dog isn't a pitbull, or not a fullbreed by a longshot. He is pretty intimidating though. David, in the caboose/house if you will was quick to quiet him on our passing.
The other partially concealed Blue Comet car is completely in view for now.
No one bothered us and we just strolled wherever within practical reason.
There is another caboose in stage of repainting/restoration hooked now to the really nice one. The owner of the restored one is doing it for another fellow.
For me the highlight was the yardman, Bob Stetser, rolling up to us. He pulled up hard and fast so I was ready for a scolding perhaps but just my luck, in seconds we were off on a talk. I'm not really a train guy so what EMD he owned and ran and what needed the least filters changed and which had a 2000 H.P. engine and what he was doing with his old caboose, etc. wasn't lost to me but not my fancy.
The little sparks in my mind did light up though when he began to tell me some tales of the Blue Comet cars and from where they came and went when he was just a little one. His story of his son David, living in the caboose was interesting. The almost 40 years he spent on a tug aside from the rails had me wanting more. Two fascinating and challenging lines of work. He was proud to show me a new book he just got on Tugs and which he had actually been on. Aside from Kevin who has spent time there, if any of you has actually stopped to talk to anyone there, (some do, some don't, I am guilty of the former) you would recall Bob as he only has but one eye. Funny, but I believe he and I have crossed paths before.
Loving details in a story, this next was a treat. All here may not think so. Yesterday, Friday the 13th, yesterday, the thirteenth of February if you will marked the 75th anniversary of the loss of that eye in a sledding accident involving an axe. Yep... I love a good story. we'll save that one for another time.
This 78 year old man was a blast to meet and in ways not on forum, rather colorful. My son Sam thought he was pretty cool. Jason, being six kinda lost interest in the old fella quick. Well, for reasons of interest to the boys, and to myself, we will be back. There's good stuff in this fella 'cause he's spent a little time in them pines hisself.
I fear though if this 78 year old soul were to know of my curse and what becomes quickly of those elders that would hold palaver with me, he'd run away as fast as his legs would carry him.
Let's hope he doesn't find out. I need him to stay on a bit. I'm not done with him.

g.

Nov 18, 2008
Erial, NJ
www.facebook.com
LARGO,

I am familiar with Bob Stetser, he is a life member of the Voorhees Fire District. I also have fallen victim (not in a bad way) at firehouse meetings to many of his stories about Railroads and history of the pines. He can go on for days with his knowledge about tracks and train cars at or around Winslow Junction. I have stopped down there hoping to have a run in with him about some questions of the Williamstown Branch.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The almost 40 years he spent on a tug aside from the rails had me wanting more. Two fascinating and challenging lines of work. He was proud to show me a new book he just got on Tugs and which he had actually been on.

Nice report. My Dad also worked on the tugs from the time he came out of the Merchant Marine till he retired. Did Bob happen to mention who he worked for?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Glad you enjoyed your visit Largo :). It's kind of funny, the rotation of people between marine and land transportation industries. They're completely different, and yet you see a lot of people moving back and forth. I worked on a coastal tug for a couple of years, shoving barges up and down the eastern seaboard. We had guys on her who worked on railroads, fishing boats, drove trucks, and one old engineer who had a license to maintain boilers in buildings.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Well, shoot, we were just in Winslow WMA today, neither of us had ever been there.Next time we'll have to find the trains. Kevin, your photos are stunning. You're very gifted.

We went to the quarry pond (at least I think that's what it is) down the tracks from Winslow station toward Hammonton and they had a whole lot of tanker cars parked on the tracks. We mused over them for quite a while. The cars are enormous, but have no chassis, so the actual tank has to bear the weight of the train. Those welds must be very strong.

Does anyone know what the deal with that quarry pond is? Can you swim there? It's so beautiful, it was torture for me to keep myself from putting my feet in.
quarry.jpg

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Winslow

Sue, thanks for the comment. As for the pits, there are quite a lot there. The one you see there is the most recent of many around there, and I'm not sure when it was last used, but a majority of the pits in that area were from a brick factory located near the junction. There was also a concrete plant located in the middle of where the SRRNJ yard is now. Along with that, both the present NJT line and the Conrail line (West Jersey & Seashore / PRR, and ACRR / Reading) were both raised in the early part of this century requiring quite a lot of fill. I'm not sure if the sand there was quarried for this, but it's possible as in between the tracks for the whole junction the dirt is removed in different levels. Dave catches a lot of people trying to fish in the one next to the NJT line all the time in the summer. There's also a small quarry down Old Egg Harbor Rd. that was also connected to the brick factory by a narrow gauge railroad. Being that the one you pointed out Sue, still has perfect blue water and not as much vegetation around the edges leeds me to believe it was privately quarried as the brick and concrete plant were both gone a long time ago.