Southern/western terminus of the NJ central line

jdragon130

Oct 7, 2008
Gloucester County
Hey folks,
I was wondering where the NJ central line terminates south/west. I have traced it via satellite imagery to Fleming Pike and Myrtle Ave into a farm field. This is about 2 miles east of Ancora. Does it continue? Did it continue historically? If so, what happened and when? You all have answers above and beyond so I figured to ask here. Thanks for any information.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Okay you have piked my interest.On the topo map the central Jersey railroad heads in a southwest direction to Vineland.At that point the Boulevard railroad heads south into Millville and hence out to Pot Elizabeth before it goes down to a grade all the way to Seaville before it picks back up as another track to Cape may but this is not our railroad.The Central jersey heads west from Vineland to Bridgetonwhere it dows some interesting things.At Carl Corner it meets the Seashore Line and then splits and sends a spur of the Central Jersey to Seabrooks and then sends another spur southwest over to laurel Street where at that point it must be reduced to a grade since at no point am I aware of it passing any other roads and I know the roads in this area well so it must proceed out of Bridgeton as a grade.It seems to end in the middle of a field about here on the topo.39.41867° N 75.28694° W Now if we back up to Brisgeton what I believe to be the true line proceeds south and then southeast out of Bridgton and through Fairton and then southeast past cedarville ,Newport and along the top of Bear swamp north of Dividing Creek all the way to Unimin sand plant and to the far side of it where the tracks end at Mauricetown Station here 39.29201° N 75.04176° W I have stood at the very spot the tracks end here.It's about 2 miles from my house.Then the grade proceeds to Port Norris and can be viewed coming out of the woods here
39.25116° N 75.03062° W I have walked parts of this grade but not all of it.It is still used mainly by hunters and thats about it.I"m sure the tracks originally went to the river probably in Bivalve but once you pass the last coords it's all road and I have seen no evidence of it past this point.I believe Port Norris would be the true end of the Central Jersey RR. What say the rest of us?

jdragon130

Oct 7, 2008
Gloucester County
What happens to it from 39°41'27.60"N, 74°48'20.36"W (sorry tried to figure out how to post coords the way you did embedded to that map). Is it possible to follow it still at all? Does it pop up in spots or just reappears in Vineland? Does this same railroad link up or is the one that runs through Menantico WMA? I am trying to figure out what Carl's corner is. I have followed it from Lakehurst to Atsion area, and have always been curious about where it goes then.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
what do you mean what happens to it? It is there and shows on the topo.Thats in the vicinity of Parkdale.There is just a grade there now thought I believe the tracks are still there but it hasn't been used since the early 80's.Actually the section down to Vineland is discontinued but from Vineland to Bridgeton it is still operational as far as bridgeton (Laurel Street) Carls corner is here. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.4542401349053&lng=-75.21155912082673&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx=
The tracks down the boulevard to Millville are operational and hold me up all the time.The tracks out through menantico WMA are operational almost to Weatherby road where the become a grade all the way to Route 9 Seaville where I believe there is an operational line the tie into heading to cape may through Rio Grands where they cross 47 just west of route 9 and go past Cold Springs village.As far as the Central jersey through Vineland till it gets to the Boulevard it is abandoned but many sections are visible from the road and some of the crossings are still marked though all the major crossings have had the tracks ripped up in the last ten years and the signs taken down.Would be an interesting trip to photo document a traverse of all the old discarded sections of line.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Now the Seashore Line that crosses central jersey in Winslow and runs down through Richland still is operational at least down as far as Milmay and beyond. Have to split,be back on later.Interesting thread,perhaps more info will be forthcoming.

jdragon130

Oct 7, 2008
Gloucester County
Hmm I must be missing something. I don't see any continuation after the GPS coords I posted. I do see a separate railroad heading south just west of Ancora which makes a hard loop east and comes over Fleming ave and then continues east and on a spur south. However, I cannot see where the railroad I have been following connects. Was it where Fleming Pike is going through Elm, NJ? I'm sorry I am sure I am missing something. Your description is actually very very fascinating to my question, especially from Vineland on. You have really piqued my interest further.

jdragon130

Oct 7, 2008
Gloucester County
what do you mean what happens to it? It is there and shows on the topo.Thats in the vicinity of Parkdale.There is just a grade there now thought I believe the tracks are still there but it hasn't been used since the early 80's.Actually the section down to Vineland is discontinued but from Vineland to Bridgeton it is still operational as far as bridgeton (Laurel Street) Carls corner is here. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.4542401349053&lng=-75.21155912082673&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx=
The tracks down the boulevard to Millville are operational and hold me up all the time.The tracks out through menantico WMA are operational almost to Weatherby road where the become a grade all the way to Route 9 Seaville where I believe there is an operational line the tie into heading to cape may through Rio Grands where they cross 47 just west of route 9 and go past Cold Springs village.As far as the Central jersey through Vineland till it gets to the Boulevard it is abandoned but many sections are visible from the road and some of the crossings are still marked though all the major crossings have had the tracks ripped up in the last ten years and the signs taken down.Would be an interesting trip to photo document a traverse of all the old discarded sections of line.

Parkdale appears to me much further north than my coords. Mine are very close to the white horse pike.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
(sorry tried to figure out how to post coords the way you did embedded to that map)

Go to that map and move the pointer to the location you want. Make sure the last thing you do on the map is drop the pointer. Don't move the map. Then, go to the URL which is the address at the top of the webpage and copy it. Then paste it into the post.

Remember, drop the pointer and then don't touch the map until you have copied the URL.

Guyy

jdragon130

Oct 7, 2008
Gloucester County
Oh my the historic topo is wonderful, geeze. I feel like such a noob, especially since I make maps. This railroad has some really interesting implications to the research I am currently working on. This gives me exactly what I needed, a historic rendition of how the railroad was. Thank you all so much, this is exciting and helpful.

jdragon130

Oct 7, 2008
Gloucester County
Is there anyone on these forums that happens to be very knowledgeable about the history of these railroads? I would love some information such as dates of construction, use, etc. Thanks.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Use the internet to purchase a book called The Trail of the Blue Comet. It will cost you quite a bit but I am sure your answers are there.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
you are looking at topos and not aerial aren't you? The topo gives the name of the various tracks.The central jersey ends up in port norris after hitting vineland and then going to bridgeton it circles back around to the southeast and heads to port norris.the portion between bridgeton and vineland is still in use as well as the portion from there to Unimin sand plant.this tracks also brings sand and batch ingredients to where I work.it passes right behind the plant with a spur into the batch house.

jdragon130

Oct 7, 2008
Gloucester County
I have plenty of patience don't you worry. My questions have changed. Yes I was looking at the aerial and not the topo, once I switched to topo I understood what you were saying.

Wow! I fail to look at the forums for a couple of days and look what I miss!

jdragon130:

The original Raritan & Delaware Bay Railroad extended from Port Monmouth, up on Raritan Bay, to Atsion, where it connected with the Camden & Atlantic Railroad using the Batsto Branch in 1862. In 1867, Charles K. Landis received a legislative charter for the Vineland Railway with the franchise to construct a line from Atsion to Bayside, New Jersey. This line reached Vineland in 1870 and Bayside in 1871. Without stepping too deep into corporate minutiae, Wall Street bad boy Jay Gould came to own the two lines and renamed the corporation and the entire line the New Jersey Southern in 1872. The route to Port Norris and Bivalve began as the Bridgeton and Port Norris Railroad and the line to Mauricetown was incorporated as the Cumberland & Maurice River Railroad.

For additional information on this and other South Jersey and Pine Barrens railroads, use the search box above and, in particular, please see these threads:

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/bayside-nj.9273/#post-120735

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/new-map.3141/page-2#post-31011

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/railroad.2286/#post-20891

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: Ben Ruset