Speedwell DRAGSTRIP.....

tdozer

May 18, 2009
This morning there have been dozens of dump trucks going through Chatsworth, so i decided to call one of my dumptruck buddys. I asked what he was doing i this neck of the woods. I was shocked when he told me that their paving speedwell road. I would have thought that the state would have just milled the old asphalt and kept the road gravel, that way they could have actually regrade it once a year or so. So how fast do you think peaople are going to drive on the road now. If i was one of the few people that live in speedwell, i would not be too happy. The rough road really did keep traffic to a crawl. not anymore...

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
So how fast do you think peaople are going to drive on the road now. If i was one of the few people that live in speedwell, i would not be too happy. The rough road really did keep traffic to a crawl. not anymore...
That's sad to hear. Several weeks ago they had plowed the road and it did level out a lot of the potholes, but I never expected paving to follow. Paving that road will only bring more people in to the woods and I suppose the ruins at Friendship will also suffer (if the paving extends to caranzza road).

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
How far down are they paving it? I was out there saturday and it looked like it was prepped for asphalt but only to the rutgers cranberry reseach spot. I will be extremely angry if it paved all the way down. The roadkill for snakes will be brutal as they will bask on the hot pavement.

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
How far down are they paving it? I was out there saturday and it looked like it was prepped for asphalt but only to the rutgers cranberry reseach spot.

It's being paved down to about 30 feet past the Integrity Propagation greenhouse driveway (not a Rutgers research center, that's on Oswego Road).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
uh60chick's info pretty much tells us they are not paving the majority of it. They apparently need better access to the greenhouse on that road.

Guy

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
... and who gets to make the decision whether or not roads like this get paved. As a tax payer, I do not want my money going to paving roads like this. For that matter, I was never to please about paying someone to grate roads either.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
... and who gets to make the decision whether or not roads like this get paved. As a tax payer, I do not want my money going to paving roads like this. For that matter, I was never to please about paying someone to grate roads either.

Well, are you certain you and I are paying for it? Steve Lee and those involved very well may be paying for it themselves. And don't you think that paying for paving roads to a legitimate business that is helping to improve the farming in that area is worth spending money on? Farmers themselves are treated pretty poorly as it is.

No matter who is paying, that currently paved road is like any other road in this state. When it gets that bad it has the possibility of being repaved.

Guy

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Agree

When we moved into our home here in Florida it was facing an orange grove and a sand road. We loved the "Old Florida" nostalgic feel of the road and trees. Then a developer came along and plowed down most of the orange and grapefruit trees, and then paved the road, and then went bankrupt. Such a waste.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
mostly old. the cars that are capable of putting rubber down don't chance the cops there. its mostly ricers lol. I know people from all hobbies:D

sorry for the hijack.

That piece of pavement was paved about a year ago when they ignored the 'Do No Mow' signs, I doubt they took the time to put the rubber back :D

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
Would the proposal then have to be mandated through a town meeting? This would make it a public project paid for by the taxpayers. Just curious if anyone knows.
My understanding is that the school buses were taking quite a beating. I'm sure there was also concern about access for emergency vehicles, etc. Those families and businesses pay quite a lot of taxes, too, and don't see the benefit of many of the services that their taxes pay for. They also don't have access to cable and haven't had their phone lines upgraded since they got switched over from party lines in the early 70s.

My guess is that the project was included in the annual township budgets for road maintenance. I don't live in either township, so I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that repaving a badly deteriorated, previously paved stretch of road wouldn't require a special meeting.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They also don't have access to cable and haven't had their phone lines upgraded since they got switched over from party lines in the early 70s.

And the kicker is the state had a high speed line put in all the way down to the state facility by Harrisville and won't allow the residents on Speedwell road to tap into it.

Guy