Spikes in the ground (lacey)

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
was out and about walking around and exploring yesterday by a buddies house in Bamber. sure enough i was walking around and felt my foot get caught on something. I considered myself pretty lucky that i didnt loose a toe. after kicking around the dirt in the area I noticed it was what appeared to be a 2" knife blade mated to a peice of flat stock with a about 2ft of re-bar drove down into the ground. after walking around for awhile i ended up finding about 6 of these some with nails some with threaded rod, all in areas of trails that seemed as if they collected water at sometimes. This is an area a frequent and was very dissapointed to see this, I checked with pit owners in the area about this and they are pretty ticked off as well. In return we will be setting up deer cameras and try to find out who may be setting this up. not only are these people causing a saftey hazard, they are littering. This is a huge lawsuit, laso including tresspassing in many of the areas. I just wanted to give people a heads up that these are out there, so if you hike or do any other recreation in the area make sure you were protective shoes alot of these have to be searched for and are not visible.

usafvet

Sep 15, 2008
Little Egg Harbor
Did you happen to snap any pictures? Heard something like that a while back in i think double trouble.... probably kids if i had a guess but who knows there are strange people out there. They were pointed up i presume... the only thing I can think of would be to harm horses or dogs??? Very sad. Or to pop tires on people 4 wheeling... still stupid i think.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
yes it sees ATV traffic, and yes it sees horse traffic and yes it sees foot traffic. This is totally uncalled for, and as of right now I can say that there are atleast 50-60 locals (including myself) that are plotting to find this person(s) and turn them in. I have no pictures howver i gave a few of them to freinds to know what to look for. this weekend when i'm back in the area i will get some pictures. whoever it is had it all planned out and does have half a brain, but they do need to go back to welding class lol.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
oh, and i doubt this was kids, as stated before all the locations seemed plotted out, to where they were placed to where you would not see them but still have about 2" of blade/spike to stick into whatever crossed its path.

usafvet

Sep 15, 2008
Little Egg Harbor
I have a metal detector if you guys need a hand? This situation is very disturbing and I'd more than happy to lend a hand. Not free this weekend... I have military duty but after that I could help. Send me a private message if you need a hand! Is it on private land? I don't want to break the states golden no metal detecting rule... but I'm sure if a ranger came across he/she would understand.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thanks for bringing this to our attention Mudboy. This kind of thing has happened before (in other locations) and has been discussed on the forum. Enviromental extremists have been suspected in the past. Hope you guys catch the SOB or SOB's.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Some very sick folks out there. They think only about their immediate objective, probably ORV's in this case, and don't have the brains to think about what it might do to a walker or kid on a bike or dog or horse or deer or bear. I live fairly close to there, would you be willing to give the location since the Greenwood line is close, maybe the state would like to hear about it?

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
The mayor of Lacey Township (John Parker) is being notified as well since some of these were located on his property. I know being a land owner he'll be furious due to the fact that if some one was to get hurt on their property it puts him in line for a lawsuit. We are going to do everything in our will to catch them. They messed with the wrong "clique" this time. I will have pics posted later this week along with anymore we find in the future.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Thanks for bringing this to our attention Mudboy. This kind of thing has happened before (in other locations) and has been discussed on the forum. Enviromental extremists have been suspected in the past. Hope you guys catch the SOB or SOB's.

i did a search and found one link, if you know of more please post from 05, I would like to speak with other individuals that have ran across similar "weapons"

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Some very sick folks out there. They think only about their immediate objective, probably ORV's in this case, and don't have the brains to think about what it might do to a walker or kid on a bike or dog or horse or deer or bear. I live fairly close to there, would you be willing to give the location since the Greenwood line is close, maybe the state would like to hear about it?

as stated i think most is private property. I'll try too get some coordinates the next time im out there and i'll provide them to you.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Were they fairly recently placed or have some been out there a while?

some were recent without rust. some were rusty. some were painted black with the first inch or so of paint wore away from going into so many tires. apparently this has been happening since mid summer, speaking to some local ATV enthusiasts. the one in particular had barely any rust on it (even the birdcrap looking welds) which should rust almost instantly. so i think whomever it may be is still out there "planting" these things. I really hope they are.so we can find him/her, but at the same time i hope this word gets out and maybe halts them from planting anymore for people/wildlife/ATVers sake.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I would like to believe that the individual or individuals setting these traps are not likely to lurk on this site. However, you might want to consider asking Ben to delete this thread so as not to warn these people that they are being watched (in the event they are reading this). If it is on private property, it is unlikely that the majority of us will be on that land and in harms way. I don't know, it is a judgement call, just a suggestion.

Jeff

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
it can be left up or taken away it doesnt really bother me either way. I'm more looking for it to stop then anything. I was also hoping that this/these individual(s) don't lurk on here but at the same time i figured there was a chance, plus i know a few people off of here live in that area.

*edit* not in anyway am i trying to blame it on any of the Bamber residents, I was more less warning them to watch their feet or pets feet.