Pines; Bamber area
My garage wall, behind the wheelbarrow.

crickets1022..JPG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My oldest step daughter is scared to death of crickets,especially camels.We used to live in a trailer that had hundreds of them underneath of it.They occasionally found their way into the trailer.She is not afraid of spiders that can actually bite you but is terrified of crickets.makes no sense.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Buy sticky traps for mice. They work great for them :D

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Are they actually good bait? Where do you hook 'em?
I can't recall if I ever used spotted camels. It just gave me flashbacks of being a kid. Anytime I came across a bunch of crickets of any type I used to scoop them up and head to the dock. I always hooked them in the neck area.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I remember as a little kid catching the regular field cricket variety in the basement and smashing them with my dads vice just to see what came out.Kinda looked like what comes out of my nose after a bad cold.Not proud of doing it now but kids will be kids,especially boys.

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I remember as a little kid catching the regular field cricket variety in the basement and smashing them with my dads vice just to see what came out.Kinda looked like what comes out of my nose after a bad cold.Not proud of doing it now but kids will be kids,especially boys.

You do always complain about having bad luck Al. Killing crickets brings bad luck.

Reactions: manumuskin

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I do regret the crickets,on the other hand the ants that I used to pop with a magnifying glass brings no remorse.Ants and I are mortal enemies.
One of my closest friends was with me on a two week assignment for forest fires in Wyoming. We arrived to camp around midnight and went straight to sleep. Unfortunately he slept right on top of a huge ant hill. The next morning after we got up he realized he had an ant in his pants and smacked it through his jeans all the rest got the signal to bite all at once. He wound up with around 20 bites that looked like bee stings. The moves he made to get out of his pants in seconds were amazing. Ants are no joke. But I'm not sure if I ever laughed that hard in my life :D

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I got fire ants in my pants in Mississippi.Laid wet shorts up on the barracks sill when i was in the NG . I had been swimmin.Put my wet shorts on in the middle of the night to walk across the filed to the bathroom and the shorts were full of thirsty fire ants that had climbed the wall and went through the screen to get to the water,it was a bad drought.They lit me up.Thanks God i had underwear on. I wonder what kind of nasty ants they have in Wyoming?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
They have destroyed the Sleeper.

On the Wading river, from the Chatsworth Lake dam on 532 to about 100 feet below the RR bridge is the only stretch of truly flowing water left. The rest all the way down to the big reservoir below 563 is slack water with at least a dozen dams. Awful. I miss my old streams.

The only good stretch left:

532damrun.JPG

Most of the rest is slack water like this. Not a pine barren river of the good old days!

slackwater.JPG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Plant wise Bob what is more diverse? A natural flowing cedar stream or a beaver bog.I know the beavers change the look of the stream for centuries there after but the ponds are a have for wildlife and fish.Are they a more diverse area for plants as well? I know they do not make very nice swimming holes.I prefer a fast flowing cold stream with a sandy bottom anyday.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Plant wise Bob what is more diverse? A natural flowing cedar stream or a beaver bog.I know the beavers change the look of the stream for centuries there after but the ponds are a have for wildlife and fish.Are they a more diverse area for plants as well?

That is a good question Al. Actually, what comes in can crowd out what was there, so it becomes more of an even swap. In our area, a beaver pond is usually not large at first. That comes with time as the trees die off.

The problem is, the new ecosystem crowds out rare species that used to define our pine savannas, and replaces them with common, aggressive plants that give an entirely different look to the area. These newly established plants will be more densely crowded and much less appealing.

Losers:

Schizaea pusilla (Curly Grass Fern)
Triantha racemosa (Coastal False Asphodel)
Narthecium americanum (Bog Asphodel)
Chamaecyparis thyoides (Atlantic White Cedar)
Platanthera cristata (Crested Yellow Orchid)
Lobelia canbyi (Canby's lobelia)

Winners:

Leersia oryzoides (Rice Cut Grass)
Panicum virgatum (Switch Grass)
Decodon verticillatus (Swamp Loosestrife)
Acer rubrum (Red Maple)
Chamaedaphne calyculata (Leatherleaf)
Phragmites australis (Reed Grass)

Reactions: manumuskin