Spotted turtle information request.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
My son is choosing to do a report complete with pictures on spotted turtle populations in or around the ocean county area. And what it is found cohabitating with. They are not nearly as common there as they are up in the northwestern part of the state. Many were seen there when he did his last report on painted turtles. Any idea's of where a better place to look would be helpful. Unfortunately he wants the challenge of looking in a less common area for his pics. Thanks.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Swwit,

Spotted turtles have been seen by me in Cedar Creek. An excellent area to look that is easy to poke around in is Double Trouble. Go to the bogs in the back and look in the feeder canals. You have to be quiet and quick. They are not as easy as painters.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
Thanks for the information. As long as i can get close enough with a zoom lense i'll be ok. Hopefully they don't get spooked before i can see them.

Steve

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I've seen spotted turtles out and about but far less than I've seen the more common turtles. One observation that might help...they appear to be far less spooked by canoes and kayaks than someone tromping about on the banks. If you have access to a canoe you might have better luck.

Jeff

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
just bear in mind that if you don't get the pictures soon, the spotted turtles will vanish. As soon as the warm weather hits, most spotteds are impossible to find.

-Bob