Spring is here

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Found quite a spring near the Oswego River today. Must be due to the rains. A real gusher.

spr2.JPG
spr1.JPG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Is it an artesian bubbler or is it a swamp seep that has a high flow right now but will disappear with a receding water table.I do love springs.Found one on the flank of Spring Hill a few years back but it was in winter.Never went back in summer to see if it's perennial.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Is it an artesian bubbler or is it a swamp seep that has a high flow right now but will disappear with a receding water table.

This is a seep at the base of a slope that will never totally disappear, probably just ramped up due to the recent rain. In that respect, I think it is also somewhat artesian, since it is just the place that the pressure underneath has found relief.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
By the way, I was at this same location at the height of our recent drought, but did not notice the side spring. Nevertheless, look at the flow on this stream on 5 August of this year. I am lucky to see such beauty quite often while exploring. Also, if you back up 100 yards or so from this very spot below, the stream disappears under the sphagnum at several places, and then disappears altogether. I have a little movie of that, but don't know how to load it.

bucksseep0.JPG

Reactions: John and manumuskin