Springers Brook

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Looking at historicaerials.com, I see that it was dug out between 1940 and 1951. Springer's Brook is formed by the confluence of Indian Mills Brook, Muskingum Brook, and your unnamed stream. Let me know if you come across any maps that name it.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
www.researchgate.net
I've noticed that many Pinelands streams once began in natural bowl-shaped depressions, but as groundwater drops the original "heads" are abandoned. It is not unusual for farmers to excavate older sites for irrigation purposes to keep up with regional groundwater loss.

Let's look upgradient too.

Is it possible that your Springers Brook once began in this depression? The LiDAR image indicates a bowl-like depression might be present. Their is also a ditch at the north end of the new irrigation pond making a bee-line for the depression.

Is this a spung carcass in this wooded spot?

Another possible spung candidate is here, although its traces may have long been plowed into oblivion:

Both the Tuckerton and Old Indian Mills Roads are ancient byways. It was not uncommon for ancient trails to intersect at watering holes. I like the first site since it is nearest to raised land, which would provide groundwater seep for a spring head and it is surrounded by fast ground that is easily accessed. Any thoughts?

S-M

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would think that over the years the farms have removed some evidence which would give us a better idea where it originated at.

Thanks for the insight spung-man!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Do my eyes deceive me? Is this a stream head, and the true source?

springers.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes Mark, I see that now. I forgot I was looking south in that photo....a very unusual perspective to be seen on this forum. However, I think it is more natural, and not really manmade. It seems the farm made the field, but could not erase the natural stream. Although, if you think about it, what came first, the stream or the ditch? The ditch (if it really is one) may have been made to channel and drain the stream in a desired direction.