Stafford Forge Area

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
I came across a cellar hole last weekend it didn’t look too old. I had never been on this stretch of road but had ridden in this area many times without knowing it was there. I wondered if anyone else knows some more about it. It was on the south side about ½ mile off the paved road. The structre shows on the older USGS Quads.

pineypwr17

Feb 10, 2004
cool...

hey...im 17, from west creek and i go to the forge for one reason of another almost every weekend. ive never seen that there....are you saying its off of forge rd.?thats really interesting though and i love hearing stuff like that about the forge and any other places around our area. i know that there are dykes that used to divide the bogs and they are about a foot below the waters surface...ive seen deer run across the lakes on them...

thanks,
jim

Westcritter

Mar 28, 2004
West Creek
I'm familiar with the area. This is probably the cellar hole on the south side. A house burned down there about 25 or 30 years ago. It was unocupied at the time.
There is a foundation on the north side near the bridge on forge rd, that can still be seen, but no cellar hole. I remember a building there many years ago, but don't know what happened to it.
This is my first post on this forum, hope I did it right.
Jack

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
It’s the one on the south side it did look like a house or a hunting camp. The area has burned recently but no wood from the structure is present. There is a 30’s era car scattered around the area but there is not much left of it. Thanks for the info guys and welcome westcritter. The small south running set of bogs has the road flooded near this house the water is flowing over the road.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
The topo maps show the former location of the house on the south side of the road west of the bridge. It's either on the 1940's topos or even on the more recent revisions. I have driven slowly by that area but never got out to look around. Glad someone else took the time.

pineypwr17

Feb 10, 2004
pineypwr

i was out at the forge and i saw the kids who moved the wood to let that water come back across the road. there is a beaver in that small pond back there right? how maby beavers are back at the forge? and are they the only beavers around?im going to go look at that foundation the next nice day i dont have to work on....

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
The lodge looked very low I didn’t have the high dome of one still in use. This is a hunting area the beavers could be gone. I have seen beaver in the forge area but that was years ago.

pineypwr17

Feb 10, 2004
i see at least two beavers there every weekend, so i know that they are there. does anyone know when they were put there or if they are native, or if there are any other beavers around the pines?

thanks
jim

B

bach2yoga

pineypwr17 said:
i see at least two beavers there every weekend, so i know that they are there. does anyone know when they were put there or if they are native, or if there are any other beavers around the pines?

thanks
jim

They are native. There are a lot of lodges, if you keep your eyes peeled. We couldn't get up to Calico last year because of beaver work flooding the road! :lol:
Seen lodges at Friendship, Nash's or not, and there is even a refuge called Unexpected (some great plant flora there including one of my favorite orange flowers) that is set up specifically for beavers.
Renee

Westcritter

Mar 28, 2004
West Creek
There have been beavers there for many years. As you explore the area you can see many trees that have been felled by the beavers some are recent and some are old. I live on the creek, and the beavers got two of my trees last year.
Last winter I found an open hole in the ice near a beaver lodge, that must have been an active entrance. Sometimes at night you can hear them splashing in the creek. I don't believe there are any lodges on the creek, but I remember a beaver dam on the creek several years ago.
There are more canoes on the creek than there used to be. So the beavers may be staying in the ponds mostly.
Jack