Standing Cypress

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Ro and I were on our way to Belleplain State Forest (first time there) so we stopped at the intersection of CR 646 and the RR. The bank where the deep red plants were seen has been gouged and roughed with gravel dumped on it. Hope the plants (Impmopsis rubra) survive.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Al, I really don't know. We drove a lot of the roads in and around the park, saw only one stand of Atlantic White Cedar (none really thick trunked but a bunch of really tall, skinny ones). Didn't see any cypress but not to say there isn't any. Would take tromping into the woods to find out and we weren't dressed/booted for it. Sorry.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Where is the location you're talking about? What is the bank with the red plants? You kind of lost me there….
This is located on the road from Rte 49 down to Port Elizabeth where it crosses a sand railroad, SE corner of the intersection. The plants are/were spectacularly red flowered and grew on a bank between the flat area of the tracks and the bordering woods. I think I was told that the area was a RR station in the past.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
Beaver Swamp WMA has a Bald Cypress at the end of Beaver Dam Road. It is located to the right of the gate about 100 feet into the swamp on the edge of the marsh.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I had heard of the Beaver Swamp cypress but never knew where it was.Is it large? I have crossed the beaver swamp twice.A very nice flooded swamp due to Clint Mill pond dam.Like wading through a cypress swamp only gum/maple.