Staten Island man pleads guilty to Pinelands killing

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Press Release

MOUNT HOLLY - Burlington County Prosecutor Robert D. Bernardi Thomas%20Paolino announced that a Staten Island resident pled guilty today to killing his former girlfriend, Jessica Tush, in April 2008 and placing her body in a shallow grave in the Wharton State Forest.

Thomas Paolino, age 20, of 6 Sylvan Court, Staten Island, N.Y., entered the plea in Burlington County Superior Court to Aggravated Manslaughter (First Degree) and Hindering Apprehension (Third Degree).

PHOTO: THOMAS PAOLINO

Under terms of the plea agreement, Paolino will be sentenced to 23 ½ years in New Jersey state prison on the aggravated manslaughter charge and must serve 20 years without the possibility of parole. The hindering apprehension charge will carry a five-year sentence that will be served concurrently. The Hon. James J. Morley, J.S.C. set sentencing for Sept. 18, 2009.

Members of the New Jersey State Police arrested Paolino on April 7, 2008 and charged him with murder for the death of Tush, 19, also of Staten Island. Her body was discovered by New Jersey State Police the morning of April 3, 2008 after authorities received a 9-1-1 call from hikers in the Wharton State Forest in Washington Township. The homicide was investigated by detectives from the New Jersey State Police’s Major Crimes Unit.

An autopsy revealed that Tush died as a result of asphyxia due to strangulation and sharp force injuries to the neck. Paolino has been in the Burlington County Jail since his arrest. Judge Morley revoked Paolino’s bail during today’s plea hearing.
2009- 44

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
I remember when I first heard about this case, I was curious about what area of the forest the gal's body may have been found. Now that it's back in the news I can't help wondering again.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I remember when I first heard about this case, I was curious about what area of the forest the gal's body may have been found. Now that it's back in the news I can't help wondering again.

It was I believe in the Harrisville, Evans Bridge, Maxwell area. I think Boyd saw the police activity.

Guy

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Yes, why isn't it life in prison? What the hell is wrong with the justice system? This kind of sentence really makes me angry.

Life in prison? Do you know how much that will cost you and I. Execution is much less expensive and ensures he can never do this again. Oh, that's right. Didn't the great state of NJ do away with that, even though it wasn't ever carry out in decades?

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I heard a comedian once who said we should take all the criminals up to the roof of the prison during electrical storms and tie them to big copper poles. "If God doesn't want them dead they'll be fine" he said.