Stick shelters

nellie

Dec 31, 1969
I dont have much experience hiking through the pine barrens. On my first foray,just past Apple Pie hill, I passed a number of lean-tos. Who camps in them? Also, what is the ruined foundation just off the road approaching Apple Pie Hill? Thanks!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
nellie,

The below photo gives you your answer. it was taken in January of 1977 by my friend. The sign says Apple Pie Hill is the highest point in South Jersey, but that aparently is not correct. There are many places that appear to be higher.

ApplePieJanuary1977.jpg

Guy

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
If the shelters you describe are along the Batona Trail, just before you get to the fire tower, they are debris huts, similar to the ones Tom Brown teaches his students to build. These where built by students from Pinelands Regional High School, as part of one of their science classes held every year. In addition to learning how to build these huts, the students learned how to start fires with bows and sticks and how to navigate with map and compass, among other survival skills. Sadly, the teacher who taught this class no longer teaches it and I don't believe these activities are continuing.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
German,

Interesting information!!! What is the reason this teacher no longer does this....budget cuts, teacher left, lack of interest, other reasons?

Guy

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
I think he's just not teaching that particular class anymore, and the present teacher doesn't have the interest or background to go that far into it. I am only familiar with it because myself or other staff members from our park have always assisted him with his field trips.

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
This is interesting. I think the stick shelters are what I had found along the Baton Trail this past spring. I don't remember exactly which section I found them. On one hike, I picked up the Batona Trail just south of the Apple Pie Hill Fire Tower and walked a few miles towards Carazanza and walked back to the fire tower. Another time I got on the Batona Trail just south of Carazanza and walked a few miles towards Old Forge. It seemed like humans had made these shelters. Each one looked just barely big enough for a person to crawl inside. I thought that maybe homeless or people who live in the wilds might use the shelters but then thought "naw!"

I found the area around Apple Pie Hill and the Batonoa Trail between the fire tower and Lower Forge to be one of the nicest places in the Pine Barrens, especially the section between the fire tower and Carazana. The woods are deep and you really get a sense of remoteness and solitute. The only think that's missing in this section is a babbling brook that's tucked away inside the woods.

It's really good that the Pine Barrens are there to use as a wilderness survivial class as well as to enjoy for its own sake.

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Pinelands is in Little Egg Harbor,and serves the municipalities of Little Egg, Tuckerton, Eagleswood, and maybe New Gretna.

VTowner

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Visit site
Thanks. I graduated from Lenape High School in Medford and I thought I knew most of the high schools around South Jersey, but I guess Pinelands was in a different division for sports or something because I've never heard of it.

I've been wondering for a long time what those little huts were, so thanks for posting the answer. There's a lot of stuff on the Batona between Carranza and Apple Pie that I'd like to know more about, like where the other blazes go and what the metal blazes are, but I'll save that for another thread when I've been there more recently and can better recall where they are.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I graduated Lenape in 1975. Are you more recent?

Guy

Z

ZippySLC

Wow, someone close to my age. :)

I graduated Monmouth Regional in Tinton Falls in 1996.