still lost

B

bach2yoga

JerseyJim said:
Renee,
The Wilderness First Aid class I took was offered up in New Hampshire, I took it when I was involved with the Search and Rescue. As far as using splints, if something is broken, you splint, it doesn't matter where you are. I work as a paid EMT, if I go to someone's house and they have a broken arm, I splint it there in the house before I load and go to the Hospital, that is standard protocol. In the wilderness class, they show you how to use what you have in the woods, ie: tree branches as splints etc, it was a very good class. If you want, I'll keep my eyes open for a class as I read all of the Trade Journals. I know of a Wilderness First Aid training site that is located next to the Delaware Water Gap, I'll keep my eyes open for an address or web address for you.
Jersey Jim

Unfortunately t splinting is no longer taught in our local first aid classes. I asked about it during the course and was told that it is no longer taught because the EMTs will do it once they get there. I thought that was kind of lame. The whole course was only about 2 hours long! It seemed like a waste.
Please let me know if you hear anything.
Thanks!
Renee

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
Did the Red Cross class atleast teach everyone the basic's of C-Spine precautions? I understand them wanting splinting left to he EMT's, but they should teach C-Spine, that is very important in the well being of the person who is hurt very badly. Someone doing that until the EMT's arrive and apply a cervical collar would be doing a valuable service. It means the differece between being paralyzed or not. Okay enough of that I was just looking out my window and I was blinded by snow, I assume tomorrow is pushed off till another time? I was looking foward to going out exploring tomorrow, but maybe I'll head off to the Pocono's and go snow tubing instead. :clap:
Jersey Jim

B

bach2yoga

I didn't see your post, sorry...
NO THEY DID NOT TEACH C SPINE PRECAUTIONS and I DON"T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT IS!!!! Isn't that sad????
Renee