Stolen: Carved Jersey Devil Statue of Lucilles Luncheonette, Warren Grove

Leewardian

Jan 2, 2021
Along the Jakes Branch
Didn't see this mentioned here yet, so I thought I'd make the post: dirtbags took Lucille's JD last night.

Their public social media has the videos: https://www.facebook.com/Lucillescountrycooking

Here are some direct Facebook links of the same:
Initial incident post: https://www.facebook.com/Lucillesco...UUPnDTLZ1VEz1jpVrFU1SJie5i3v9H4J1A3qXaC5VrXMl

Security Video 01: https://fb.watch/lnepVde04f/
Security Video 02: https://fb.watch/lneryrbLJe/
Security Screenshot: https://www.facebook.com/Lucillesco...UhateSPNsMxjmGgm4ymdonzbpuFi8gudkUe8JHbMyifUl

Hope they get these f***s.

Erik/Leewardian
(the artist formerly known as HeathenClerk)

• Wow
Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I am friends with Neil Pastore, the owner of several larger local farms in Elm. He purchased the old White Horse Farm Marke,t and all of the land with it, last year. On April Fools Day, a couple of local shi*heads stole the iconic horse from the entrance to the farm market. Neil is still steaming and it hasn't been replaced yet..

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: M1 Abrams and Boyd

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
I know of Lucille's only by reputation as a Pine Barrens icon. One can only hope the criminals get the punishment for which they apparently yearn, committing such a pointlessly malicious act in view of a video camera.

The destruction of the white horse at Elm hit closer to home figuratively as well as literally. The Pastore family has bought melons from my family for many, many years, and are held in high regard. To have a local landmark be vandalized and wrecked for a stupid April Fool's stunt is galling enough, but to have this happen to a Pastore makes it that much worse.

After jail time, fines, and restitution, perhaps a bit of community service deep in the Pine Barrens would be in order for those convicted of these crimes. Ticks, chiggers, and deer flies might finally convince them of the error of their ways.

Reactions: bobpbx

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I just saw this....
"**UPDATE - THANK YOU TO OUR AMAZING COMMUNITY FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE! OUR DETECTIVE BUREAU HAS BEEN PROVIDED WITH ALL OF THE INFORMATION NEEDED AT THIS TIME. WELL DONE FACEBOOK
1f499.png

On June 24, 2023, the Stafford Township Police Department received a report of theft, of the ‘Iconic Jersey Devil Statue’ from Lucilles Luncheonette - Country Cooking located in Warren Grove, NJ. After a thorough investigation by the Stafford Township Detective Bureau, a warrant has been issued for the arrest of Thomas L. Bintz, 52 years old of Chandlersville, OH for fourth-degree Criminal Mischief and third-degree Theft.
Bintz has not been apprehended at this time. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to contact Detective Conner at jconner@staffordpolice.org or 609-597-1000 ext. 8461.
As a reminder, the Stafford Township Police Department does not release photos of arrested subjects, and all defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law."

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
I have a correction to make. It seems that I do have a connection to Lucille's after all. This morning I was talking to my nephew about the theft and Lucille's, and he told me that back when my sister-in-law began to go out with my brother, she was working at Lucille's. Small world.

I'm not on Facebook, so I often miss out on scuttlebutt such as information on the suspect and his whereabouts. On the other hand, with my large extended family, I do hear things by way of APB (Abrams points bulletin :D). One of my cousins and her husband are currently visiting Ohio. I was texting with her last night. The previous evening, they had dinner with friends of theirs, a couple who live in Chandlersville. Their friends did not recognize the name of the suspect, though. It sounded as if they had heard something about the suspect having some connection with our area, possibly by marriage.

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
In the above "Pine Barrens Tribune" article, there was something that seemed surprising and disappointing. Captain James Haldenwang, media liaison for the Stafford Township Police Department, was quoted as saying:

"These charges would probably not meet the criteria (for extradition proceedings) at this time..."

Looking up the charges against the suspect, the penalty for 3rd degree theft is three to five years in prison and up to $15,000 in fines. The penalty for 4th degree criminal mischief is up to eighteen months in prison and up to $10,000 in fines. From what I read online, both are classified in New Jersey as "indictable offenses," comparable to felonies in other states. To a lay person, those charges would seem to be of sufficient magnitude to pursue extradition should the suspect be apprehended back in Ohio or elsewhere.

However, I came across an old article from 2014 about the reluctance of Monmouth and Ocean County prosecutors to pursue extradition in "minor" cases because of the expense. It sounds as if generally, only first and second degree charges would lead to extradition from out-of-state. (Note: I got a pop-up when going to this link, but was able to click "continue to site" to read it.)

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/ne...o-extradite-suspects-in-minor-crimes/6313033/

Going back to the "Pine Barrens Tribune" article (story in plain text, Captain Haldenwang's words in italics):

"The awarding of damages to the owners, Haldenwang maintained, is something that could eventually 'be worked out in a court of law,' although any criminal case against the suspect would first have to be pursued."

It would seem that the pursuit of the criminal case will be problematic if the suspect can avoid a return to New Jersey.

While one can understand and sympathize with the budgetary realities, this case seems different than some random act of vandalism. It is not the same thing as, for example, some wooden business sign worth $2000 being hauled away and destroyed. This was an outrage felt by the entire Pine Barrens community. Perhaps the notoriety of this affair will be enough to ultimately shift the balance in favor of extradition should that become an option.

For the sake of the folks at Lucille's, hopefully this matter won't drag out indefinitely, and they will ultimately receive the justice and restitution they deserve.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Reactions: Leewardian