Stones In The Burned Area

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

With the recent fire near Old Half Way and fall about to arrive, I dusted off my old maps and decided to look for a stone that back in 2006 I was unable to find. This stone is in the fire area so I felt this would be a good time as ever to give it a whirl. Well, I was wrong! We looked for an hour and came up empty. So we decided to revisit one of the nicer stones in the fire area and walked the 1/4 mile to check on it. This stone is a corner to the Hanover Furnace Tract, the Greenwood Tract, and the Ferrago Tract. Yes, all the way over near Old Half Way General John Lacey's property extended. I have inclued a photo from 2006 with the one from today. The photos are taken in opposite directions.

This stone dates to most likely at least 1863 and maybe as far back as 1794.

hanover_fer_green.jpg

On the way back we ran across an old road that appears to have been well traveled in the past.

IMG_1650.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will go back and walk that road and see how it matches up.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Under the New Wharton World Order in which we live, I have this to ask about this so-called road:

-Is this truly a "road" ?
-Why is this road here ?
-What purpose could it possibly serve or have served ?
-Does anyone truly "need" to travel this road or even look at this road ?

For the love of God, can we please barricade this road and place plastic markers in the middle of it and plaster all of the nearby trees with signs ?
:)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I remember that stone.Man the fire really gave that stone a lift didn't it?! Was a lot of duff around that bad boy.Glad the fire didn't crack it. If that is the stone I"m thinking of it was quite a walk from the nearest sand road.There were several that day I went looking for.I remember the stone but may have the location in my mind mixed up with one of the other ones i looked for the same day.memory gets rusty after a few years.

Reactions: Teegate