Storm on Friday Morning

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Before sunrise and about 20 minutes before the thunder started this morning on the Mullica. Visible haze on the lens ruined the photo but I will be back.

july6_storm-1.jpg

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Thanks oji. Bob, I am a fanboy of Ernest Cozens. I signed up for his Pine Barrens Short Course at Stockton but never met him since he was delayed helping a woman who was stuck on Hawkins Bridge Rd. I spoke to him briefly on the phone and he could not have been more generous with his help and time. A real nice guy and great photographer. I just signed up for an Oct. 13 trip with Richard Lewis for a sunrise shot at an undisclosed location. Unlike (I think), Cozens and Horner, Lewis makes his living at photography. All three are great Pine Barrens photographers and I study their work closely. I also have both Birdsall books but his photos are, IMO, more journalistic than straight landscape. If I see a person in the frame I wave them out the way.

bicycle tim

Scout
Jun 9, 2018
tabernacle, nj
Jon, Your photographs never cease to amaze me, you truly have incredible skill and passion. Thanks for sharing your work with us. I hope you don't mind a question from someone with far less skill, but I've often wondered if you shoot raw files and bring them home to the computer or if you shoot jpegs and calculate your settings before shooting. Thanks

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
...I've often wondered if you shoot raw files and bring them home to the computer or if you shoot jpegs and calculate your settings before shooting. Thanks

Thanks Tim. I shoot primarily with Nikon D850 and 14-24mm lens at ISO 64 if possible. I always shoot raw files. I import the files into my computer at home and process in Lightroom and sometimes Photoshop. I have never really prepared the photos for a website or portfolio, but when I got enough "keepers" in a year or two I will. I make my living at graphic design so I have Adobe Creative Cloud which is a big advantage. I believe you can get the Photoshop/Lightroom combo for a relatively inexpensive monthly fee, but the learning curve is pretty steep if you have never used them. There are thousands of good videos on Youtube about landscape photography, equipment, software, and options besides Adobe software. Shooting JPEG really limits flexibility when editing in LR/PS for me personally. I also shoot well before sunrise, in very low light so shooting RAW is essential. However, if you are shooting in good light, do not want to spend a lot of time editing photos in front of your computer, shooting JPEG may be an option for you.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
have you ever used GIMP, linux GIMP not Gimp for microsoft?
I have not used GIMP (not sure if Mac Os X supports GIMP) but it looks like a very good starting point. I don't know if GIMP has digital asset management capabilities as well as image processing. I have tens of thousands of images to manage, both personally and professionally, and LR is highly capable in keeping photos organized by day/month/year and category. Also, I use Photoshop all the time professionally, so the Lightroom/Photoshop synergy just works for me. I think that if I was not "in the business" I would not pay for, or be using, Adobe software.