Sunday hike near Hawkins Lowland Rd

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Beaver dam on the Temakwehocken, boat waiting for it's owner. Thanks MM, lots more to see.

nov13_1.jpg

nov13_2.jpg

Last edited:

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
MM, it was getting late and I had another location to check out before sunset. But I will be back with my son, upstream at the Temakwehocken and at the Tulpehocken locations you indicated. This is a great time to be in the woods.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
That is a great area to explore. The road to the island is still flooded as of last month. bring a kayak. The road in is good but tight.
Ed, I am sorry the links in your post are broken, I would have liked to follow along your path. The road is so tight, to preserve what is left of my paint job, I ended up hiking the remaining 1/2 mile on Hawkins Lowland, made a left and hiked up the road to the tributary (Temakwehocken).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The island is great to explore. We have been there with PBX, I have been there a few times with Jessica, Steve and Rob from work. When I went with Jessica and Steve we waded across where the old road is washed out.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.73462748202846&lng=-74.60610407989503&z=17&type=hybrid&gpx=

View from the island.

car.JPG

Jessica walking the old road.

IMG_3401.JPG

It was really hot that day and she was suffering. Crossing the sphagnum field.

Jessica%20sphagnum%20field.JPG

Jessica.JPG

Wading back she almost fainted.

Jessica%20overheated.JPG

I went once with Steve from this site and we rested at the bridge across the Tulp. (2004) If I find my GPS cords you may want to check this spot out.

Steve%20with%20GPS.JPG

My track with Steve.

TulpRevisitedTrack.jpg

Guy

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
You guys are light years more advanced in your exploration techniques than I am. Up until now, I've been a slave to photographing sunrise and sunset and I find remote areas hard to get in and out of in the dark. I bought a handheld GPS about 6 months ago, and assumed that it would work as simply as my auto GPS. It did not, and I returned it, being too busy at the time to figure it out. But I recognize that without a GPS, I will eventually end up lost in the woods when my Google Maps signal drops. This thread has pushed me to get a Garmin and start figuring it out. The information here is worth 50 Pinelands Short Courses.

Reactions: manumuskin