Sussex County prepares for 'catastrophic' storm

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Do you think the news media is going to far?

Sussex County residents should prepare for a "catastrophic disruption of life" as Hurricane Sandy sets its sights on the New Jersey coast line, meteorologists from Acuweather News Service said.
According to Bob Smerbeck form Acuweather, the most recent tracking models have Sandy making landfall along the New Jersey coastline early Monday.
"New Jersey looks to be dead center," Smerbeck said. "This is a historic storm that will cause a catastrophic disruption of life."

http://www.njherald.com/story/19926777/sussex-county-prepares-for-catastrophic-storm

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Cape may County
"The one thing I would tell people is that if you are asked to leave, you better leave. The reason being is they'll be people here, they'll be fire, police, and emergency personnel including myself--don't make us come out in the middle of the night because you didn't get out and your house is floating away," said Wildwood Mayor Ernie Troiano Jr.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I think it is too much hype. It's a cat 1. Shiver me timbers. I can understand those folks near the shoreline. So what we may be without power for a little bit inland. No biggie we'll get by. However, there are plenty of morons in our state so I guess that's why they do it. Hmmm

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
I think it is too much hype. It's a cat 1. Shiver me timbers. I can understand those folks near the shoreline. So what we may be without power for a little bit inland. No biggie we'll get by. However, there are plenty of morons in our state so I guess that's why they do it. Hmmm
We will see. No power for 7 days.....you will be looking for tissues.Heard there will be a air shortage also.

Reactions: pineywoman

TurboDan

Aug 11, 2012
Surf City, NJ
Generators baby. Hahahahaha

Ha, so I decided to pull my boat out of the water today, and I ended up hiring someone to do it since I've never hauled it with my new SUV and I didn't want to "experiment" with a 20-deep line at the boat ramp.

The guy I hired shows up having just come back from delivering a snowbird's boat to Florida for the winter. Bed of his pickup is full of generators he picked up down there. He sold four at the marina for $1,500 each. He said he bought them for $800 and change. Can't knock the hustle. ;)

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
We will see. No power for 7 days.....you will be looking for tissues.Heard there will be a air shortage also.
An air shortage? I guess Chris Christie keeps polluting our state with his big hiney!! Haha..

Turbo Dan it is good you got your boat out of water, it is not looking pretty down there now. Going to get worse. Just need to stay positive.

TurboDan

Aug 11, 2012
Surf City, NJ
An air shortage? I guess Chris Christie keeps polluting our state with his big hiney!! Haha..

Turbo Dan it is good you got your boat out of water, it is not looking pretty down there now. Going to get worse. Just need to stay positive.

Yeah, I was going to leave her in, but since I am literally writing articles being read by hundreds of thousands of people about how bad the storm is going to be, I figure I should listen to what I'm telling everyone else. I grew up next door to a guy who had been through the '44 storm AND the '62 storm in LBI and since this one is going to be worse than '62, I figured it was the best thing to do.

I did a classic "local" evacuation. Left Surf City three houses from the bay for Brick, two houses from the bay. Didn't mind staying in LBI to ride it out but the thought of the causeway being closed off and trapping everyone in made me uncomfortable.

Now that she's (the boat) out, she's out for the season. The marina kicks us out by Nov. 15 anyway. So, my switch to surf fishing comes early, but hey, at least I have a 4x4 now and don't have to lug all my gear up the dunes by hand. ;)