Swamp Pink

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It has probably been two, maybe three years since I've seen any swamp pink. Has anybody seen any latelyl? Bob, you probably have.

Jeff

I see it every year. I make it a rite of Spring. I am the counter for the Bamber Lake population for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. It is endangered. Bamber Lake is a super strong, super nice population with several locations. Guy and Jess helped me count a few years ago.

PINKMED.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You have the best photo's of Pink around Bob...

Here is Jess and I on 5/1/04 doing the count with Bob and two others.

Jess

Jessica.JPG

Me

Me.JPG

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Is there a pattern or cycle attributed to the numbers of this plant in certain years? I would think that drought would have the biggest effect. I myself probably have seen some over the years without knowing what they were, i have an idea in one area where they might be found, but i will pm one of you on the matter at another time.

Also you guys probably remember the sign on the little shop on the northbound side of rt.539 in Warren Grove that sold orchids, what was up with that.

Nero Wolfe shops here?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Is there a pattern or cycle attributed to the numbers of this plant in certain years? I would think that drought would have the biggest effect. I myself probably have seen some over the years without knowing what they were, i have an idea in one area where they might be found, but i will pm one of you on the matter at another time.

Also you guys probably remember the sign on the little shop on the northbound side of rt.539 in Warren Grove that sold orchids, what was up with that.

Nero Wolfe shops here?

Pink are very picky about water and weather. Only 7-10% of the plants bloom each year. I see awful years and I see great years where the infloresences are on top of 40" tall stalks. They need water, and lots of it. It has to be a constant supply. I fought and cursed and bled my way to a spot on cedar creek this year and saw a 10" tall flower bloom on a little Island in the middle of a split in the creek. It was so remote, this area.....so very remote. My kinda town!

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
What makes the plant so rare Bob? Is it like the pine snake that it requires a certain habitat, and the habitat is threatened, therefore the species? Do people collect it like reptiles? Thanks
Chris