Swimming beach @ Bass River SF closed due to poor water quality

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
NJ State Parks Facebook page just announced that the "Bass River swimming area is closed today and tomorrow due to poor water quality."

I am guessing that runoff from heavy rains (and all of the seagulls that hang out there) contributed to this? I find Lake Absegami absolutely disgusting in the summer during hot weather. It's as refreshing as drinking a cup of hot coffee in Death Valley at noon.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Heavy rain? I had heard that water levels in that are of the pines were low? We will be camping at a private campground not far from Absegami tomorrow. I was hoping that the roads in Bass River wouldn't flooded, but it sounds like they might be?

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Handy links, thanks. The map confirms that we've been getting more than our share in Hunterdon for sure. I've counted more thunderstorms this summer than in a while. I'm also realizing I misread Gibby's post in another thread. The point was that despite the rain, roads in Bass River are still pretty passable. I'll take that.

Reactions: Gibby

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I like Lake Absegami. It may be warm sometimes, but if you have a child or two with you, it is fun to swim with them in that lake. At least my memory tells me so.