Taking Hay while the Moonshines

Folks:
While conducting some research today at the Gloucester County Historical Society for an ongoing project in Galloway Township, I came across this letter address to the New Jersey Attorney General and I thought you would find it as interesting as I did:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmCounty of Burlington, Little Egg Harbour, May 18th 1809

Sir: A man by the name of John Wilsey residing at the forks of Little Egg Harbour river about two miles from Batsto furnace in the County of Gloucester, Township of Galloway, that has took eleven tuns of salt hay from a landing where I Daniel Mathis had it stacked for Atsion Company which hay by information the aforesaid John Wilsey took without my consent or knowledge in the winter on fore part of march last past

I never had any contract or dealings with said Wilsey neither directly or indirectly. The hay aforesaid was on a landing belonging to one Wm. Carrel or McCarrel that Eli Mathis & myself rented and paid the rent last august in order to set the above said Atsion Co.’s hay upon for which hay I Daniel Mathis request you as the States Attorney to prosecute the aforesaid John Wilsey in an action according to the Laws of the State of New Jersey in such a case.

The witnesses that are necessary to substantiate the above charge are Wm. Wolley Senr, Eli Mathis, Aaron Mathis, John Mathis Cooper and several others if necessary all of Little Egg Harbour & one, Asa Bricket near Atsion. Likewise one Edward Brush next nabour to the above sd Wilsey County & Township the same.

The aforesaid hay was all my own property when taken.

For any information if it is requested I will transmit and as for witness you may have mine if legal.

Aaron D. Woodruff, Esq.
,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Daniel Mathis
States Attorney
For State of New Jersey

P.S. Hay sells at four dollars per tun.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: h2ochild

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Jerseyman, Interesting fine, thanks for keeping an eye out.

FWIW - at the time Jacob Downing and Henry Drinker were owners of Atsion 50-50 share. Iron works was doing good and Joseph Turin was Postmaster.

Like I said, FWIW Don