Taxonomical changes

B

bach2yoga

Barry,
Remember I mentioned Howard Boyd specialty really being entymology?That other botanists have said not to rely too heavily on Boyd's book for taxonomy? That's not to discount his works, they are wonderful, just to say that for botanical nomenclature, don't consult him.
I've gone through his entire PB book and updated the botanical nomenclature to USDA nomenclature, the most up to date. Many of the changes I note are from changes in taxonomy, but some are simply just mistakes in his book. In addition, when you use both a new name and an old name, the same format should be used for consistency throughout the work as well as citing what authority was used.
Boyd's book puts the old name first about 2/3 of the time, and the new name first about 1/3 of the time, which is a bit confusing.
Anyway, I'm in the process of transferring that info to a file, and I will post each section as I complete it.
Here are the clubmosses and the ferns.
Renee

CLUB MOSSES

Family: Lycopodiaceae

p. 96

Carolina clubmoss Lycopodiella carolinianum

p.98

foxtail clubmoss Lycopodiella alopecuroides
bog clubmoss Lycopodiella appressa

FERNS

p. 100

Family: Dryotpteridacea (HB lists as Polypodiaceae=Aspleniaceae)

Includes

sensitive or bead fern Onoclea sensibilis

Family: Thelypteridaceae

Includes:

marsh fern Thelypteris palustris (HB lists as Dryopteris thelypteris=Thelypteris palustris)

bog or Massachusetts fern Thelypteris simulate (HB lists as Dryopteris simulate=Thelypteris simulate)

Family: Aspleniaceae

Includes:
ebony spleenwort Asplenium platyneuron

Family: Blechnaceae (HB lists as Polypodiaceae=Blechnaceae)

Includes Woodwardia virginica and Woodwardia areolata.

Family: Dennstaedtiaceae (HB lists as Polypodiaceae=Dennstaedtiaceae)

Includes Pteridium aquilinum

B

bach2yoga

Here's the next set of updates:

P. 108

Family: Cupressaceae

Includes Chamaecyparis thoides, Juniperus virginiana. (HB has both of them listed under the family Pinaceae.)

P. 118

Family: Myricaceae

Includes:

Bayberry, now Morella pensylvanica (HB lists as Myrica pennsylvanica);

evergreen bayberry or wax-myrtle, now Morella caroliniensis (HB lists as Myrica caroliniensis)

sweetfern, Comptonia peregrine var. asplenifolia

Hazel family is now Betulaceae. (HB lists as Corylaceae=Betulaceae)

P. 124

Family: Anacardiaceae

Includes:

dwarf or winged sumac, Rhus copallinum (HB lists as Rhus copallina)

poison sumac Toxicodendron vernix (HB lists as Rhus vernix=Toxicodendron vernix)

poison ivy Toxicodendron radicans (HB lists as Rhus radicans=Toxicodendron radicans)

P. 126

Family: Clusiaceae (HB lists as Guttiferae=Clusiaceae)

Includes:

shrubby st. Johnswort Hypericum densiflorum

P. 130

Family: Ericaceae

Updates include

low blueberry Vaccinium pallidum (HB lists as Vaccinium vacillans=V. pallidum)

NJ blueberry Vaccinium caesariense (Here is an example of Mr. Boyd reversing the order, with Vaccinium caesariense=V. corymbosum)

black highbush blueberry Vaccinium corymbosum (HB lists as Vaccinium atrococcum=V. Corymbosum)

P. 132

Family: Caprifoliaceae

Updates include:

witherod Viburnum nudum L. var cassinoides (HB lists as Viburnum cassinoides)

P 134

naked witherod Viburnum nudum L. var. nudum (HB lists as Viburnum nudum)

Family: Pyrolaceae (HB lists as Pyrolaceae=Ericaceae, another example of changing order)

B

bach2yoga

P. 138

Family: Smilacaea (HB lists as Liliaceae)

Includes all Smilax spp. listed in Mr. Boyd’s guide.

P. 138

Family: Fabaceae (HB lists as Leguminosae=Fabaceae)

Family: Anacardiaceae

poison ivy Toxicodendron radicans (HB lists as Rhus radicans=Toxicodendron radicans)

P 142

Dodder, Cuscuta spp., is in the Cuscutaceae family, which Mr. Boyd did not list, not Convolvulaceae

There have been no changes in the aquatic herbaceous plants , and the herbaceous plants with unusual structures. I'll post the Graminoids and Herbaceous Dicots and Monocots later, maybe tomorrow. Some of the Gramanoids like the panicums are a mess, but the panicums that flower twice a season are no longer classified as Panicum but as Dicanthelium. Interesting note--the genus aster no longer exists, I need to change my Aster album. It was confusing have an Aster family, Aster tribe, and Aster genus, I'm glad they were changed!
Renee

B

BarryC

Interesting stuff. I wish they'd stop changing the names.
I've never heard of the family Cupressaceae. I've always listed those (quoted below) under the family Pinaceae as well.
And you say there is no more genus Aster?? How can that be? How can an Aster not be in the genus Aster? That's weird too. For Compositeae, are they making it easier or more difficult for us? :crazy:
LOL

Includes Chamaecyparis thoides, Juniperus virginiana. (HB has both of them listed under the family Pinaceae.)

B

bach2yoga

BarryC said:
And you say there is no more genus Aster?? How can that be? How can an Aster not be in the genus Aster? That's weird too. For Compositeae, are they making it easier or more difficult for us? :crazy:
LOL

Laughs, boy do I know the feeling!

Includes Chamaecyparis thoides, Juniperus virginiana. (HB has both of them listed under the family Pinaceae.) [/quote][/quote]

Actually, that is just a mistake in Mr. Boyd's book. G&C 1964 lists it as Cupressaceae, so it has been many years since it was considered Pinaceae. Stone has it listed under Pinaceae. Somewhere around here I have a document Russ Juelg put together with all of the equivalents of Stone v. GC and Britton and Brown, etc. Did I ever email you a copy of that?

If not, I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

The Aster family (formerly Compositae) still exists, but not the aster genus. The aster genus is now Symphyotrichum, and generally most of them have retained the same species name. A lot of the aster family did not have the aster genus--none of the dandelion tribe, the artichoke tribe, the thistles, the goldenrods (incidentally, the flattopped goldenrods are no longer solidagos, either), the sunflowers, etc. I have not updated my album to reflect the newer nomenclature, but if you look at the aster album, you'll see it in a family tree sort of way and it should make more sense.

The album is not complete yet, and I need to change the nomenclature and a few other things as well, but you'll get a rough idea of how it works.

Here's the album link:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R21541AC6

It's really less confusing without the genus aster, I think. Before it was kind of like having your first (genus) and last name (family) the same, and your cousin also having the same first and last name, the only difference was the middle name (species). That kind of thing.

If you you look at it set up like a family tree, it really is much easier to see the breakdown. But it can be a confusing mess, and not every botanist agrees with the taxonomical divisions. Some are lumpers, some are not. A lot of people go by Gleason and Cronquist 1991, including a lot of botanists, but the most current nomenclature is considered to be the USDA list, which is at http://plants.usda.gov The course Ted Gordon will be teaching uses G&C, though from experience I know that Ted will also give us the most current names.

I have a copy of G&C 1964, and have ordered a 1991. If anyone is interested in my 1964 copy once I receive my 1991 copy, just PM me, you may have it. It is still very useful, albeit very technical. I found only one other copy of the 1991 edition and none of the 1964 edition, searching ABE, Addall and B&N.

Some of the taxonomy, though, like the panicum, are just a mess, though, and very confusing, at least to me. All I've really been able to figure out with the panicum is that the name changes if it blooms twice in a season, lol! I'm still working on it, but I'll get it. This bioblitz worksheet for TNC that I've been doing has been very helpful, sixty or more hours worth of going through plant families and genuses and species, and the input from others. I started out using HB, and there were so many corrections that Karl emailed back. Then I used the USDA because they are newer and Karl felt that would be best. Then I found out the TNC wanted the older nomenclature, G&C, as well, since many people are comfortable with it, so now I need to go back and add in that nomenclature next to the USDA. No matter, each step has been very helpful in my understanding, so I do not consider my time wasted. I'll be curious to hear Ted Gordon's input too, once the final draft is done. I'll never forget him refusing to show me a single gentian that was not even in bud, other than to tell me there was one there and to find it and show it to him--and insisting that I find it alone, so I would know how to recognize the plant out of season. He talked about the importance of knowing a plant out of season, when it isn't blooming. I've been amazed by his knowledge the couple of times I have been on trips with him. He really is amazing, he can look at an area and before even walking through it tell you exactly what you will find there, right down to the rare species. He's like some kind of botanical bloodhound, lol! He says that the key is to know the habitat (down to the the type of sand, piedomont, etc. the pH, and the geohydrology!) and which plants grow with which other plants. One of the most interesting things I learned from him so far was that the presence of Polygala lutea indicates good ecotone, and so I should keep my eyes open, there are probably some other interesting species that grow in that area at some point during the growing season. I really do hope that the course he will be teaching actually happens, I am so looking forward to it. There is so much more for me to learn...I don't think I'll ever run out of things to learn.

Renee