Teen who beat birds accused of violating probation

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Teen who beat birds accused of violating probation

The Associated Press

June 25, 2004

TOMS RIVER, NJ -- Another teen who admitted pummeling exotic birds to death at an Ocean County zoo is accused of violating his probation.

Matthew Mercuro is accused in Waretown of operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs and drinking while underage.

If convicted, the 19 year old could be sentenced to jail time.

A judge in April sentenced Mercuro and two other teens to three years probation, saying putting them behind bars would interrupt their treatment for drug and alcohol abuse.

Another defendant, Thomas Cavanaugh, was charged with violating probation last month when he was expelled from a drug rehabilitation program.

Authorities said the trio beat three ducks, three emus and two rheas with a plastic pipe, a shovel, a rake and other items at the Popcorn Park Zoo last year.

Piney1125

Scout
May 1, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
Beating Up Birds

Must be some juvenile delinquent or a mentally ill person. Who else would do such a thing? Luckilly, the cops have him right where he belongs!

Piney1125

Scout
May 1, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
Animal Fines

I agree! Animals are living things, just like human beings. They deserve to be treated with respect, just like us. They did not do anything to harm us. In fact, the animals in Popcorn Park Zoo were injured at one time. That makes it even sadder to know that they recovered, just to have their life violently taken away by a perverted young man. It is very sad that some people have the desire to harm innocent beings for pure pleasure. If he was attacked by the animal, than it is a little different. However, this man was not being harmed by anything or anyone except his own dirty mind. Now that the Police have him, they can prosecute him and put him away quickly! Let us hope they do.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
These were the same young men who killed the animals at the Popcorn zoo. It shows you that probation means nothing to these people. They should have spent time in jail.

Guy

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
Stu said:
Those guys are scumbags. Animal cruelty fines aren't nearly as high as they should be.

I couldn't agree more!!

Fines are not nearly high enough, and not enough period, there should be mandatory jail time. Actually, they should be beaten unrecognizeable....
hopefully they'll be sent to prison where they'll be taken in by a 300 lb inmate who's lonely pleas to the warden for a "playmate" have finally been answered......
Seriously though, I can't imagine what goes through the minds of these pieces of waste, but i can't imagine a sufficient punishment, makes me sick.
Brian

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Stu said:
Ever been to the Zoo? Remember when the ducks, geese, deer, etc. walked around outside with the people? No more. Nearly everything is confined now, except those peacocks.

It seems to me that we have it backwards. Those two Neanderthals should be in the cage and not the animals.