The biggest beaver lodge in the pinebarrens is gone.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
For years I have taken friends from outside the pines to see the biggest beaver lodge (that I've ever seen) in the barrens. It was easily double the size of the next largest beaver lodge I had seen. Today I took my drummer out fishing and brought him out to see the lodge. Much to my surprise and dismay, the lodge was gone and replaced with a smaller domicle.

It occured to me at that time that I may never have photographed the mammouth lodge and now it is gone. It used to stand well over 6' tall and was as big around as a large truck.

I don't recall that I ever discussed this lodge on the forum (I don't know why). I didn't have my camera with me today. I figure that the lodge might have caved in, or the cedar it was built with finally rotted and the beavers decided to build a new one from the old foundation.

Anyway, was anybody else familar with this lodge. It was located here:
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74431096810997&lng=-74.57904696464538&z=18&type=k&gpx=

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

I have been there but can't find my photo's. However, there are bigger ones along the bogs on the other side of Friendship Bogs. Ed has been there and I believe this may be one of them from years ago that Ed took a group of us to see. There actually were multiple ones along the path. Hopefully Ed will comment.

beaver%20den.JPG

Guy

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
For years I have taken friends from outside the pines to see the biggest beaver lodge (that I've ever seen) in the barrens. It was easily double the size of the next largest beaver lodge I had seen. Today I took my drummer out fishing and brought him out to see the lodge. Much to my surprise and dismay, the lodge was gone and replaced with a smaller domicle.

It occured to me at that time that I may never have photographed the mammouth lodge and now it is gone. It used to stand well over 6' tall and was as big around as a large truck.

I don't recall that I ever discussed this lodge on the forum (I don't know why). I didn't have my camera with me today. I figure that the lodge might have caved in, or the cedar it was built with finally rotted and the beavers decided to build a new one from the old foundation.

Anyway, was anybody else familar with this lodge. It was located here:
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74431096810997&lng=-74.57904696464538&z=18&type=k&gpx=

Jeff

this one is in game creek, but i,ve only seen otters at it. do they build these to get above water level?

2748585300104593866S500x500Q85.jpg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Guy, I am pretty sure I've been to the one you have photographed as I have been all over friendship. I'm not sure if you are remembering the one I was referring to. It was larger than that one.

That one in game creek (not sure where game creek is) is very large but I don't think it is quite up to size of the one that was over there in east friendship. It is a little hard to compare. I clearly remember that it was over 6' in height. It actually sat in the bog and not on a land bridge but I had canoed around it.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is the one you are referring to in 2002. I can't find my newer photo's of it.

FriendshipBogBeaverDen.JPG

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Here is the one you are referring to in 2002. I can't find my newer photo's of it.

FriendshipBogBeaverDen.JPG

Guy

Correct, but it is difficult to appreciate the height and girth from this photo. Incidently, for those looking at this photo, the beaver lodge in question is not the thing in the foreground but the lodge to the left obsured by the dead cedar.

Jeff

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Jeff,

I have been there but can't find my photo's. However, there are bigger ones along the bogs on the other side of Friendship Bogs. Ed has been there and I believe this may be one of them from years ago that Ed took a group of us to see. There actually were multiple ones along the path. Hopefully Ed will comment.

beaver%20den.JPG

Guy

I knew the lodge Jeff is speaking of and yes, it is gone. There is some of it left but I wonder what/who took it apart. It was out in the middle of the bog.
The picture you posted Guy was from a hike I led in the fall of 2004. Maybe you can verify this by a date stamp on your picture. That picture was approximately here:

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.737933841139636&lng=-74.58555936813354&z=16&type=k&gpx=

That row of lodges haven't been too active lately.
The other really big lodge, on par with the ones posted by Bob and Karl is located in this vicinity:
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74867479379085&lng=-74.59721088409424&z=15&type=k&gpx=

I haven't been there in 2 years so I don't know if it also still exists. Because of this I won't post its exact location, but it is as big as a large SUV and was active. I believe this area is also part of the Friendship bogs but much more wild. I have crossed between the two.

Ed

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Thanks for reviving this thread Tom. Lodges com and lodges go. Cedar does rot. There is this beautifully constructed curved dam in the area.

Ed