the blue hole

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
I didn't know where to post this so I figured this was a good enough spot. The blue hole is located off of piney hollow road in winslow in the winslow wildlife management area. I was reading about it on the net interesting I think and I was wondering if anybody went there? I wanted to go last year but as always things came up and I never made it. Any info would be appreciated thanks

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
I've never been either, but oddly enough, someone just mentioned the Blue Hole to me about an hour ago and I was thinking about it when I read your post. What is it? A lake? A pingo?

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Odd this topic should come up so soon huh? I'm still not sure what to think of the BH. Lots of claims stating lots of different ideas, I think I like the one about it being the devils home:jd:
Whatever it is, its an interesting place, last time I was there it was a royal mess, wonder if its any better today?

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
Piney Boy said:
Lots of claims stating lots of different ideas, I think I like the one about it being the devils home:jd:
Whatever it is, its an interesting place, last time I was there it was a royal mess, wonder if its any better today?

Home of the Jersey Devil, huh? Is he aquatic? I always pictured something more like a satyr, I guess.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I never pictured aquatic eitheir, more like jabberwocky for me. That particular legend goes something like the Blue Hole is his grotto and entry point to some kind of nether plane. I think thats more modern invention though than actual legend.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I think it was just a modern mish-mashing of the legend of the Devil and the mystique of the hole itself. Supposedly scientists dropped a weighted line a mile long into the hole and never found the bottom but I've never seen actual documents stating this as fact. On the contrary those who've been there said that you can see the bottom in a lot of places. It just sounds like most larger bodies of water in the pines that have sandy/clay bottoms-they appear a little bluish in the sun. I had heard a variation of the legend saying that it was where the Devil bathed. Of course I've also heard of sightings where peopled noted that the Devil smelled quite bad-so does he bathe or doesn't he? :rofl:

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
blue hole

If you google blue hole winslow township nj there is a lot of stuff on it. There was pictures of large traps that supposedly were used to try and catch the jersey devil. I waswondering if these were still there.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Ariadne said:
Home of the Jersey Devil, huh? Is he aquatic? I always pictured something more like a satyr, I guess.

That might explain how he has been around for 250 years huh? Maybe when he is chasing after people it is not because he wants to devour them! LOL

The blue hole is a nice place to visit just to say you have been there. It can be a disappointment if you expect too much.

Jeff

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
On the non-topic of the possibility of an aquatic devil, I was reminded of something I saw a few years back in an abandoned cranberry bog area. There was a large pond/small lake that was completely covered in algae so that it looked green, and out in the middle, up to his neck in the water, was a large deer. He was wading through the water eating the algae from the surface. We named him Aqua Deer. For several weeks in a row, we'd see him every morning out in the middle, eating algae.

Do deer do this frequently?

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I'm 24 and I've been hunting since I was 13 and never saw a deer actually eat algae. I've seen them swim though. PM RedNeckF350, if anyone would know it would probably be him.

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
gagliarchives said:
Its a freshwater pocket/spring...and as Steve Said, its Green. I never thought it was a big deal, still cool none the less.

tg

I never really heard anything about it until yesterday, when Piney Boy mentioned it to me, and then I saw the post here. I've been looking for somewhere new to explore, but I guess after reading everyone's comments, there's probably cooler places to go...

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
Aqua Deer vs. Ariadne

I'm just guessing here, but maybe the deer was eating the algae because it was sick? I know my dog eats grass when his stomach is upset... At any rate, apparently algae-eating deer aren't the norm.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
idk about that blue hole, but there is a section down my street I've always called "blue holes". A little later i found out i wasn't the only one who called it that... at the end of one of the trails around the lake there was a red car with 666 and gang signs all over it. Along with a lot of racial crap, and on it said "the blue hole gang". idk if it was just some kids screwing around but it was still creepy.

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
Just a minor thought on the matter of the blue hole in Winslow - Winslow Junction was, in the earlier nineteenth-century home to a major brick manufactory owned by the Hydraulic Press Brick Co. Some of these "blue holes" were, in fact, clay pits dug up for raw material. I know that near Halfway, Union Clay Works area there are several of these. Sometimes, these oddities are cultural remnants rather than true pingoes (periglacial features) or natural occurences. In addition, I believe that in a thread a couple years back we visited this matter and also discussed the existence of a natural spring coursing underneath this particular blue hole that gave it its unusual temperature and properties.
Scott W.