The Culprit Exposed: Miller's Bog Sunset

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Was running the dog tonight just after sunset and stopped at the local bog. The sky and partially frozen bog surface were beautiful so I grabbed my phone for a few pics.
As I framed the picture I noticed a wake. I thought maybe woodies since I flushed three near this spot last night but it was a local beaver who has been wreaking havoc on the bog outflow for the last two years.

He swam about thirty yards and walked up onto dry land and just sat there chewing a stick. He paid no attention to me or my numb-nutted Springer, Murphy, who was walking around chewing his own sticks and frolicking at the edge of the water. I zoomed a few of the beaver but they aren't that great. He can be seen in the center of the third pic. The last pic is just one of two piles of beaver-made cuttings that the Forest Fire Service has been pulling out of the piped crossing on a weekly basis for the last year. They are about 8' high at this point.

I have been back here 34 years and I have never seen so much beaver activity as I have over the last two years. They have jeopardized the bog road and have killed acres of healthy
IMG_2722.JPG
IMG_2727.JPG
IMG_2724.JPG
IMG_2728.JPG
white cedar in the downstream area.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
When that survey came out on the DEP wildlife strategy I responded very strongly about beaver creating havoc in the pine barrens.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
When that survey came out on the DEP wildlife strategy I responded very strongly about beaver creating havoc in the pine barrens.
You should see my area Bob. They have completely changed the landscape.
But you know, I try to keep it in perspective. The landscape that they are changing is one that man created.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You should see my area Bob. They have completely changed the landscape.
But you know, I try to keep it in perspective. The landscape that they are changing is one that man created.

I would agree with you if it's just ponds, we created them mostly. But Atlantic White Cedar corridors are at least 4,000 years old. Relatively young for the area true, but the Wisconsin glacial episode was definitely a reset of norms, and Atlantic white cedar was one of the pioneer species after that age and may have not changed much until this heavy beaver threat. Beaver were once extirpated from this area, and I wish it had stayed that way.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I would agree with you if it's just ponds, we created them mostly. But Atlantic White Cedar corridors are at least 4,000 years old. Relatively young for the area true, but the Wisconsin glacial episode was definitely a reset of norms, and Atlantic white cedar was one of the pioneer species after that age and may have not changed much until this heavy beaver threat. Beaver were once extirpated from this area, and I wish it had stayed that way.

The areas being affected back here are the old bog system originally owned by Wharton himself. The beavers have, for the most part, re-flooded the old bogs. In fact, their damming activity has been focused on rebuilding the original dike choke points along the Albertson. There are a few along the way that were built where the Albertson narrowed a little.

There are two more old dikes deep in the downstream woods that the beaver haven't discovered yet. It will be frustrating when they do because some of the nicest cedar in these woods are located there.