the Daily Journal story

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
To All,
I thought you might like to read this story from The Daily Journal.

Friday, May 14, 2004

Ghost story lures 'Weird N.J.' trio into trouble

By JAMES P. QUARANTA
Staff Writer; jquaranta@thedailyjournal.com

VINELAND -- Three people who said they were trying to photograph ghosts for the magazine Weird N.J. were arrested on trespassing charges at the former Menantico Colony, police said.

Ed Burgents, who manages the property owned by The Training School at Vineland, was patrolling the Hance Bridge Road site around 8 a.m. Wednesday when he saw two vehicles familiar to him from previous trespassing incidents. Burgents and police heard voices coming from the basement of a cottage and confronted the trio when they came out.

The suspects told police they worked for Weird N.J. One of the alleged trespassers -- Kristophe Kruedelbach, 30, of Fairton-Millville Road in Bridgeton -- said they heard the buildings were haunted and were trying to take pictures of ghosts for an article.
Police also arrested Katherine Burk, 24, of North East Avenue and Christa Gargon, 23, of Sugarman Avenue in Millville. All three suspects were released on summonses pending court action.

The Menantico Colony site off Hance Bridge Road comprises several hundred acres that were used in the 1920s and '30s as a working farm for mentally challenged men and boys. Prize-winning livestock was raised on the farm, which also produced corn and other agricultural products.

Several cottages and buildings remain on the property, which police said has "no trespassing" signs posted at the entrance and on each of the buildings.
Weird N.J. is a travel guide and magazine featuring odd places around the state. The publication uses stories submitted by subscribers as well as its own staff, and last year featured a story about the Menantico Colony site.

Shedevil626

Oct 22, 2005
Vineland
to bring up a old topic, this place is great... i started going there back in march of 04, i then got arrested on april 15 of 04. i love the place.. they should let explorers snoop around. i just moved around the corner from the place.. so i might find a back way in and start going back! i love the Hankins House, its great. the whole place is amazing!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Shedevil626 said:
to bring up a old topic, this place is great... i started going there back in march of 04, i then got arrested on april 15 of 04. i love the place.. they should let explorers snoop around. i just moved around the corner from the place.. so i might find a back way in and start going back! i love the Hankins House, its great. the whole place is amazing!

So that is you mentioned in the article???

Guy

Shedevil626

Oct 22, 2005
Vineland
nope, that wasnt me. i was 16 when i got caught. i heard the people in the newspaper worked at hottopic... i had to go to juve. court and it got thrown out because so many people have been caught there. but it is such a great place to explore.. ttfn..