The Dog

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My Lab does learn food related sounds very fast.She lived on dry dog food for the first fourteen months because we found out early wet dog food gives her the runs.Then the vet said it would be okay to mix a can in her dry once a week.The sound of Momma scraping the wet food out of the can meant nothing to her the first time.By the third time each a week apart Mom scraped the can and Sophie was in the kitchen like a rocket.I'd say she has an english vocabulary of literally dozens of words,more then some people i work with.

The dog pictured belongs to my son and daughter-in-law; and, every morning, waits patiently for me to take the Cheerios box out of the closet-having learned, when I'm filling my bowl, one or two might spill. (I enjoy his company, so it may be the spillage is a tad higher than probability would suggest...)

He is, incidentally a remarkably good watchdog-though he would probably grovel with joy at any intruder's feet.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
my dog gets no food from the table at all unless I spill it.she sits under my feet hoping I do.I never do on purpose.she is spoiled beyond all means with dog treats but one thing she does not do is beg or try to steal food.We do occasionally give her human food but never in the house so she doesn't associate the table with food.We will sometimes give her a human treat when in the woods.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Cody won't leave my side in the morning till he gets the meds for his torn ACL, and reminds me in the afternoon as well. Its been a really tough year for him, turned 14 and bad stuff is happening.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It's sad to see that. Our "Snoopy" developed heart problems, and needed help to go out in the snow and do her business.
( I used to dig out a path for her, poor thing.)

Finally, we took her to the Vet, held her-and wept during her final moments.

That was the winter of 1996.

Cody is literally living on the edge; life expectancy is 14-15 years and he just may make the 15 mark, fingers crossed. He was diagnosed with a very rare cancer last week, occurs in 1% of dogs. Spoke with a canine oncologist yesterday and learned the tough stuff. With whatever treatment it is just a matter of time. We've decided on a plan that maintains his quality of life, nothing aggressive. He detests going to the vet, hates it, so we will be able to administer this at home. We've had him since birth, watched him pop out one stormy March night, last one in the litter. Had his Mom, Sister as well until they passed, and his Grandmother before them. We have had a lot of dogs over the years, but this one is very special.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was referring to you fox avatar.wasn't meaning to belittle your dogs cancer just I have always liked the fox grin on your avatar,I apologize if you took that I thought your dog being sick was funny.Lost a few dogs myself.Not to cancer but to posioning,seems to be a pass time around here.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My apologies Al. That Fox was licking his chops so it ricochet'd over my head.

Here's a few more; different times, same location. :)

28725081.jpg

90734632.jpg

132955269.jpg

132955273.jpg

132955278.jpg

A crop

132955279.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
On a trip to boundary waters we spied a fox on a well touristed road eating pizza out of a box beside the road.Of course I had to stop my wife being a critter fiend.We were sitting twenty feet from it and it just looked at us as it munched pizza,next thing I know momma is handing it french fries out the door.I told her I believe that is illegal and not good for the fox either.I was ignored.He would only approach to within about three feet.Another time we were pulled up to the huge puddle just west of Calico,I was preparing to wade the puddle to get pics of calico and I was still sitting in the truck when this very scraggle red fox walked out of the brush and sat down calmly five feet from Mommas passenger side door.She proceeded to give it sour cream and onion chips.It was bone thin and looked like it had mange.It would approach only to about five feet.This was very abnormal being this fox was in the heart of the barrens and on no tourist route.I got out of the truck and it retreated maybe twenty feet and sat down again.I told her to stay in the truck in case it was rabid and I went and got my pics.When i came back it was gone because a bicycler came by and it fled.The bicycler is quite another very funny story.
Once again very sorry to give the impression I was making light of your dogs condition.Just making a little fantasy that you were really a fox and a friend of Cody which of course you are though obviously not a fox.
Almost forgot,I was sitting beside a deer trail in Menantico swamp when i was in my 20's waiting for a deer to come by at dusk and see it I was good enough to touch it.(I was a Tom Brown student back then) I sat dead still for two hours as dusk approached.The swamp was quite thick,I was 30 ft from the stream where the tracks told that deer reguarly came to drink and cross.I was just about to get up and leave because it had became so dark I could barely see 30 ft and i had no light and didn't want to get tore up exiting the briar infested swamp when I heard a rustle,I thought it must be a deer.I looked and not ten feet from me on the trail a grey fox stuck it's nose up over a small log and sniffed the air.I could see it's nose twitching even in near darkness.It knew I was there even though I had done my scent camo i thought well.There was not a breath of air so the fox could not get direction.I stared at him and he stared all around me(my visual must have been better then my scent camo) and for at least five minutes it went on like this then all of the sudden he vanished.Don't know if he wore out or figured out my direction.He probably heard one of my thoughts,I hear they can.