The EM and G.W.T Stones.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I was contacted by member "Oriental" asking me if I was interested in looking for stones on state property that are incised with initials of the Mathis family who owned massive amount of land in Bass River. I was very intrigued by this and after receiving the information Oriental acquired I starting investigating where I felt the GPS coordinates might be. Rich knew the general area but we needed to get closer. To do this I had invaluable help from Boyd who made me specific files to help us in this endeavor. His help was instrumental in my opinion in making this much easier than it would have been.

It was determined there were two stones with the letters EM on one side and G.W.T on the other. I am quite certain the EW stood for Elihu Mathis who died on December 11, 1856.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...Sst=33&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=13525667&df=all&

So this morning before sunrise I was heading down Chew Road and took this blurry photo.

IMG_1954.JPG

After meeting up with Rich we headed into the woods and surprisingly found a large stone inscribed with the letter M (Mathis) on it with a concrete Bass River Forest monument nearby.

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

Our next stop was to find one of the incised stones. Arriving at the location we walked around and around with no luck. I had pretty much given up and was ready to head on but Rich was persistent. He pointed a few things out to me and I then continued to poke in the ground with my walking stick. Sure enough the sound of stone rang out.

Completely hidden.

IMG_1965.JPG

Clearing away years of vegetation and dirt.

IMG_1966.JPG

And pay-dirt! If only we knew who this was? Research is needed.

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG

The EM was on the bottom and the water has taken it's toll on it. The letters that were up look much better.

IMG_1977.JPG

From there we looked for two stones on the way to the other incised stone. Both of them were not to be found on our way there. We eventually made it to the final location and in a few minutes of searching we found it. Unfortunately, as remote as it was the stone still somehow had been broken into three pieces.

IMG_1982.jpg

Again, the G.W.T was in good shape.

IMG_1983.jpg

On the other side the M could be distinguished somewhat.

IMG_1984.jpg

We then looked for a few more less than 200 feet away and came up empty. So on the route back we again looked for the two stones we could not find before. Again, with his determination to find it we were able to add another stone to our list of found stones. This one on old deeds is called an "Old Stone."

IMG_1989.JPG

I want to again thank Boyd for his help and I hope to have in the near future a few more stones to find with our very own "Oriental."

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The "Old Stone" mentioned above is a corner to a property that was surveyed on October 20, 1794. So with the survey we used dating from sometime after Elihu Mathis was deceased, the old stone could date from 1794.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin
Rich and Guy:

Elihu Mathis was the father of Leah Mathis Blackman, the chronicler of Little Egg Harbor. Elihu was a surveyor in his own right and Leah likely learned some valuable local history at her father's knee. I think you will find that G.W.T. stands for George Washington Tucker, of the famous Tucker family. He was a wealthy man with extensive land holdings. He also planted many of the shade trees along the streets of nineteenth-century Tuckerton.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank you Jerseyman! Saved us quite quickly from years of research :)

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Thanks Jerseyman. The stones were really cool to find. The history that you have attached to them makes my first stone searching that much more interesting!

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
It should be noted that Guy found every one of the stones! I think by now he can smell them. I really appreciated that was willing to help me on my first stone search. For the record - I would NEVER have found a single stone on my own.

Thanks Guy.

Reactions: Teegate

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have found several stones now in the middle of nowhere that were snapped off at ground level.I believe that many stones are hit by logging trucks,those that are high enough to catch the bumper or get hit by a tire.Most frost wedging splits stones vertically but I have found them snapped off at ground level as if something shoved them from the side.

Reactions: Spung-Man

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I agree fully that it was most likely damaged by logging. I said that at the time to Rich.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I wonder if it's still there or if they let it grow up.I went to check some writing I seen in Canaan valley WV and it was visible for the last 30 years but I couldn't tell what was making the letters but every aerial had it.Turns out someone planted Alders in the meadow in the shape of the letters and from the ground it was barely discernible because baby alders were growing up around the letters but the O was noticeable when you were in the middle of it.each letter was about 50 yards across.This looks like mown grass?