The Fox

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
This will be my typical long one but justified. We oft think of the pines one dimensionally in their center and forget the outskirts. The Silver Fox Inn offers tales of old that rival any tavern you could bring up. First, the group.
I arrived @ 8:30. SureSue was right behind me & Scott(RedNeckF350) Was soon to follow which I had hoped for. Mucksavage, while I was disappointed, stayed behind with his wife getting over foot surgery. Catcha next time. We walked in to the Fox to find it as Eclectic as ever but devoid of the many overlapping years of decorations. This eve' it was done up well in Halloween garb. Fit the place perfectly. Foxy, (Florence for real but she admits sometimes forgetting her real name) was about the coolest person you will ever meet, no lie. I will say it was a treat to meet Sue & she shared wonderful information of her youth and localities as well as an album with pics easily postable in their quality and content. Foxy fed us so much info I'm pissed I didn't take notes. I will rely on Scott & Sue to fill in some names. We had the place to ourselves all eve' so we were able to pump her for info. The Fox was built in 1928 and from then till 1938 actively
raised Fox for coats and such and the pelts were displayed across what was to become the Bar after the lift of Prohibition. Seems according to the dating, she & her husband purchased it approx 1966 or so. In that time frame there truly was an airfield behind soley for the purpose of cropdusters owned by the same family that owns ALBION Airport today. She rattled off family names easily and learned some herself from many of our declarations and listened intently to Scott's many known details of the region . Foxy herself is a Czech. Name of Soloma? She married to a Polish Gentleman. Ironically, during the many years before, during, and after my youth she herself was the Chef. She ceased to offer the services of the dining after she felt that she could no longer provide the service she thought necessary. Almost about the same time she abandoned the Signature Light Blue Caddy out front. Just decided one day to stop driving, pulled the keys out & there it sits. Never to be sold or moved till she's gone. How many of you have ever entertained that notion? Make no mistake. She holds parties & still parties hard herself.
She seems to get by on the good help of others. She is not a tech person, dislikes cell phones and no sign of a computer I could see. Other points of interest: The stone front you see is from seven truckloads of Pennsylvania mountain stone from a friends property. Definately cleaned up the hillbilly shack look of the log cabin. You will not call it a bar. It is a "lounge!", real class. In 40 years she never had an incident that required police or an uglyness of drunkards. That my friends is probably a title held only by this woman. The monkey on the chair remembered of my youth did exist. Her name was Delores, after the girl that lived next door that gave it to her. While Scott inquired about room borders and Foxy suspiciously declined, there are signs of the presence of rooms for let. Their purpose may be left to your imaginations. I myself see it as a very possible Speakeasy during prohibition.
This was not the Foxy I remember from another time but rather a lucid woman who offered information openly and seemed to enjoy our questions as well as someone who listened intently on our dialogue be it of towns farther away, tales of fishing and food, Children, whatever. The Fox still has a surreal quality to it but not as creepy as I remember but rather inviting and whimsical and I would offer any other member a chance to pull up a stool, have a cocktail or a cold one and learn a little about a piece of the outskirts of the pines. Taverns & Lounges do speak & speak well. As it truly is in Elm, the place of my birth and a fond memory of my youth, I found it a wondrous evening. Sadly enough she is not a picture person so we had no gems of old to view or to take away with us. I snapped a couple shots from a little throw away that I will put up when I get to it.
Scott & I walked out at approx 11:35 and I was home at 11:44. I really like that. All in all a winner of a junket with no scratches, Chiggers, wet feet of ticks. Just good talk and some beverages.
Oh heck, that will have to do. For document purposes, I 'll let Sue and Scott fill in some names and correct any errors I posted but I think I got it mostly right. Thanks again to both for your company.

G

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very nice story George. I wished I had gone now, sounds like it was well worth it to go.

PS: where is the Silver Fox "lounge"?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Very nice story George. I wished I had gone now, sounds like it was well worth it to go.
PS: where is the Silver Fox "lounge"?

Right on route 30 on the left heading East if you were coming out of Elm in to Hammonton. Figure if you were coming from Berlin, through Waterford, Ancora etc. She actually said The Fox is still in Elm.
just map it. 734 Whitehorse pike Hammonton N.J.
Look for the stone front and a light Blue Caddy Faded & sitting on flat tires.
It's a signature of the place. I was surprised to know that she actually has a lot of hours but the clients are hit & miss. I believe she just said "when they come, they come". Must be o.k. because when I asked if it was still making her a good living she said " I'm still here aren't I?"
Looking back, sorry I didn't really give any names. Up late and running too many nights in a row and my brain was fried.
I will put up pics when developed. My cheap digital took a crap & all I brought was a little throw away. Well, off to Soccer this morn. Somebody shoot me.
g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I started the night by parking my truck next to the landmark potted blue Cadillac that I had only seen from the highway until then.
Walking up the steps you are geeted by "The Silver Fox Inn" artfully cast into the concrete steps.
The place has a surreal and comfortable feel to it, which is exactly what I hoped for.
The empty dining room off to the side is kept dark but all the tables are dressed with table cloths as if they are waiting for customers. I thought I saw Rod Serling sitting in the corner but it was just my shadow.
Foxy has two juke boxes. One is loaded with old people music (Nat King Cole etc.) and one is more modern.
She said she just got the one for the younger crowd (under 75 maybe?) and it kicks on every 15 minutes and plays a free song. She said she asked the installer to remove Fifty Cent from it because she though he was horrible and she doesn't care for rap. Good call.
The mens room has a wall to floor urinal which I haven't seen in a long time. The bathroom is equipped with ashtrays because the owner said she knows people sneek a smoke in there instead of going outside.
The liquor list is a little short and I couldn't get an Old Granddad rocks. I really like bourbon and I was a little disappointed. I settled for VO. Blecchh. I then asked about Jack Daniels and she initially said she didn't have that but then said she did, so I switched to that.
The beer list is a little short with bottled Girls Light (dog pee), Bud, "that Mexican beer" (Foxy's words), which we figured was Corona and Yuengling Black and Tan. No tap beer.
George opted for a Black and Tan nightcap and the label on the bottle looked like it was around since WWII. I think she doesn't sell much B&T.
It was great meeting Sue and I really enjoyed the photos of her father. His rugged image vividly depicts a true piney of years gone by.
It was great night on the edge of the big woods and I would gladly return for a do-over.
Scott

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
The peeling dry rotted Black & Tan label had me a little concerned That I was gonna get a skunked beer, but after 4 VO's it seemed o.k.
I just got back from taking a few day picks of the place, the car, the stone work, and those mysteriously small "rooms" that were never rented out.
Sue, those pics of yours need to be showcased somewhere other than that folder.
They're as depictive of pine folk as any I've seen in all the books we all have. I really liked your story about the town and the packing house.
g.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I should of been there!! I drove past the place around 6:30pm Friday driving home from the shore. I saw the "open" light on and I was amped to go in for a cold one. I remembered Sue's post that said something like "some things are best done alone". Reality set in when I remembered my 3 yr old Aidan was asleep in the back seat after running around on the beach all day. I plan to go there soon.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
one more thought on the pike bar scene. I've been to most of the taverns along the pike from Collingswood to A.C. When I turned 21 I had this half-baked idea to do a bar crawl and hit every single bar heading east to A.C. and stop in for one drink. Rest in Brigantine and head back west hitting every bar on the other side of the road. This bonehead idea never came to fruition and that's probably a good thing.
Tom

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
My evening with George and Scott went great! It's wonderful when one is finally able to put a face with a name with whom we communicate often on this website. I wish I could have stayed longer, but the trip to Riverside is long. But sorry guys, Foxy stole the show! Glamorous in her own way and always the lady, she'll steal your heart one way or another. George you wrote beautifully, only other tid-bit I recall was her and her husband purchased half a mountain from a friend in order to have those seven truck loads of stone hauled to the Silver Fox. And Scott, your writing breaths in tantalizing tones. Needless to say, I have strong compatition on this website. LOL! (but you guys can spell better)
Foxy Florence sings invitations to all, giving us open dates to all her festivities. She celebrates her birthday on September 29th, and has more then one Halloween party. Closed on Thanksgiving, thus spending it with a good friend's family (enjoying the fact she doesn't have to cook), but opened only a short while on Christmas. Her and I both agreed that the DWI laws have put a hurten on the bar scene, especially New Years Eve. This wonderful woman apprciates male and female company alike. She told me she never ask people and questions and very few she asked of us. The bar was cool and her soft hand was cooler yet. hmmmmm. The woman's room was quite interesting with one stall duct taped shut with black tape. In the corner sat a mirrored picture for Halloween decor. It showed a young woman dressed in Amish grap. Look again and the woman's face and hand turned into a wrinkled old witch. It literally captivated my attention while the stall door behind me shut on its own with a light tap. At that point I left, in a hurry I might add.
So much can be said about Foxy and her Silver Lounge, and yet there is still so much more to learn. I will be making more trips to visit her. Once she is gone, all will be gone. Maybe then she can take alittle bit of me with her, since there will always be alittle bit of the Silver Fox within me.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Hearts of the pines aside, if we really really want to get a group together, this place fits the bill. It's the last of a fading breed, like so many taverns we've seen just disappear. Any takers on a gathering? I will speak for all three of us that I can assure, it will not disapoint. You'll have your pines and a little bit of the other side of reality as well. C'mon, think about it.

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The thing that amazed me is when I asked her if she was only open Friday and Saturday nights, she said, "I am open every night". She was surprised that I had never been in before, having lived only 3 miles away for the last 24 years.
She almost sounded disappointed when she said she has to close at 2 a.m. on weeknights. She is open until 3 a.m on weekends.
George and I left at a little before midnight and she said that she would probably still get some late patrons after we were gone.
I feel enriched for having spent some time there with some good friends and the original Foxy lady.

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
Well, after reading all this, I'm going to have to make the trek down there. I do know that area. Please advise the next NJPB get-together. Thanx!
Len

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hearts of the pines aside, if we really really want to get a group together, this place fits the bill. It's the last of a fading breed, like so many taverns we've seen just disappear. Any takers on a gathering? I will speak for all three of us that I can assure, it will not disapoint. You'll have your pines and a little bit of the other side of reality as well. C'mon, think about it.

g.

Hmm. Interested, but I have a very long drive.

"Please Mr. State Trooper, please don't stop me"

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Hmm. Interested, but I have a very long drive.QUOTE]

If you get a little too blitzed, There are 4 rooms there that might be for let if the price was right. Or maybe you could take it out in trade.
I'm sure we could figure out something for you if not.
In seriousness, you would really like it.
You could honestly say you hit one of the last of the real tap rooms on the edge of the Barrens. Excuse me, "Lounge"
Oh yeah, no Beer Taps either. Just stay away from the Black & Tan.

g.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Speaking of old tap rooms, a couple times in my life, I have been to a disgruntled little shack in Browns Mills that is now gone. I always knew it as "Wyatt Earps".

Anyone else ever hear of it, or am I dreaming this? I also remember the "El Rancho" in Browns Mills.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
I was in the Elrancho a time or two before the tore it down.
I 'm not sure about the Wyatt Earp joint though.:confused: Never heard of that one. Where was it?
How about the Lakeview tavern? Since it closed up a few years ago it has had two different signs on it saying opening soon but it never did.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I 'm not sure about the Wyatt Earp joint though.:confused: Never heard of that one. Where was it?
How about the Lakeview tavern? Since it closed up a few years ago it has had two different signs on it saying opening soon but it never did.

The Wyatt Earp was not the real name. I never knew the real name. It was on 530, after the intersection with the red school house on the way to Deborah, on the right. It was only (if me memory does not fail) less than 1/4 mile north of the intersection.

I'm drawing a blank on the Lakeview. Where was it? I've heard the name.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I drank in the place a few times but wish it were more. It was very old looking like the Green Bank Bar. Everything old and wooden. I think it was called Jack Davidsons. ?? There was alot of fights that went on in there. I can understand why it was nicknamed Wyatt Earp. Take the scenery and a group of old time pineys, and yes one thought they could be in the wild west.

The Wyatt Earp was not the real name. I never knew the real name. It was on 530, after the intersection with the red school house on the way to Deborah, on the right. It was only (if me memory does not fail) less than 1/4 mile north of the intersection.

I'm drawing a blank on the Lakeview. Where was it? I've heard the name.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I've been in Elrancho too. But I didn't know they tore it down. Lakeview was a hopping joint in it's time. They had lots of bands and people really had fun there. Of course they had their share of fights too, like any bar. Down the road going towards Whites Bogs, was another tavern called (Ithink) Speakeasy, later changing its name to LaSheik. When the name changed, so did the crowd...drastically! (use one's imagination) Then there is Obies, Pig-N-Whistle (if that is still there?) There was also a private bar in back of someones house across the street from the little steak house which stood next to Obies. I bet no one knew that was there! Maybe we should start a forum just for old bars, we all seem to enjoy discussing and comparing notes where taverns are concerned. Afterall, they too are a peice of pinelands history. What do you think?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Sue, I went to the Speakeasy before it was called that. The old name escapes me. Anyway, a friend and I made a big guy pretty angry at me. As he glowered at us we went upstairs where the pool table was and climbed out on the roof and let ourselves down right in front of the main door, and off we went. Probably a very smart thing I did there.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
The Lake View Inn (not tavern, maybe I confused you) is on 530 at the head of the lake next to where the old Browns Mills Hardware store was.
It sounds like the (Wyatt Earp) was where the McDonald's now stands. Not to be confused with where the old McDonald's was which is now an Advance auto.
There is a bar back further off the road and next door to where the Elrancho was. I'm not positive but I think they had a fire at the Elrancho.