The Great Pine Barrens Wilderness Game

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
How's this for a way for us to get in the woods more?

There is a "drop team' and the "lost team" (the lost team can be just one person).

All meet at a location of the drop teams choosing. The lost team is blindfolded by the drop team, who proceeds to drive the lost team to a chosen kick-off point, where they park and lead the blindfolded team into the woods to the drop point.

The drop team leaves, and 15 minutes later the lost team is allowed to remove the blindfolds. The object is to find your way out. Both teams have walkie talkies or cell phones.

The lost team starts with zero raw points. They accumulate or deduct points in the following manner:

Starting with just a GPS (no map program): add 10 points
Starting with just a compass: add 20 points
Starting with nothing: add 30 points.

Within 5 minutes of removing blindfold, you can make a relative guess of about where you are in the pines. If you are within a 5 mile radius of your guess, collect 50 points. If you guess and are wrong, deduct 20 points.

If you can find a vehicle traveled road within 10 minutes collect 50 points, within 15 minutes collect 30, within 20 collect 20, within 25 collect 10.

Figure out where you are (exactly) within 30 minutes collect 150 points, within one hour collect 100 points, within 2 hours 50 points, within 3 hours 10 points. Each wrong guess, deduct 50 points.

Over 3 hours, or giving up will cost you 200 points.

Ha! :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I bet Bob has already found a good spot to drop someone off. He most likely thought of the game while there :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It seem to me that you might want to leave one of the drop team with the lost team so you can "prove" that they found a road or whatever.

Guy

Since this is a points game I think that each team should have Drop & Lost players. This way one Drop team will take the other Lost team out while their counterparts are doing the same. Now a winning team can be determined on the same day. Each Drop team could choose the drop location but better yet a "Grand Poopah" could choose the locations. This would probably make the respective drop-off points equal in difficulty. Of course the Grand Poopah could not participate but would be the referee.
Bob, you have a great idea here and I cast my vote for you being the first Grand Poopah.

PS. Maybe we could find a cool hat like Fred Flintstone wore to his club meetings for the Grand Poopah to wear. :D

Steve

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
flintstones.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'll tell you one thing, and that is I will NOT walk around in the woods with that on my head. Might get shot!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I do like the hat. It is just the right combination of color and pizazz. However, the horns may get stuck on the branches.

Instead of a grand poopah directing 2 teams, I thought it would be a team one weekend, and then the other team 2 weekends later (or such).

We could also do the same drop point on different days with different lost teams.

Putting a referee with the team is starting to sound like a good idea Guy. That way, the dogs need not be called cause he can have a good map or GPS, even better, a good idea of where the hell he is :lol:

In thinking through all this, the most difficult challenge I can think of (logistically) is leading blindfolded people through the woods for the 15 minutes or so it takes to get them to the drop. :think:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hey!!! I said I did not want to wear it!

Nice one :)

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
hahahaha! how have i been missing all of this . . .

i'm sick right now so i probably shouldn't play . . . although that may be the only chance y'all are gonna have against me . . . lemme know when it all goes down.

-Bob

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
BobM said:
Actually, you might look good as the first lost contestant. Are you ready, willing and able Bear? :clap:

I'm willin'. Just fine tune the rules and it's a go!

Okay Dudes, I'll put the rules on a word document, we can jaw about them, and negotiate them, and change 'em based upon our preferences, then we'll go with them.

I'll try to plan your drop point for October Bear......... :grin: