The Jones Mill Tract

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you have never heard of Jones Mill you are not alone. Jones Mills is located along the stretch of road from 563 at the Chatsworth Cemetery to Dukes Bridge which is called Jones Mill Road.

The tract was a massive piece of property that in July of 1919 was owned by a realty company named "Beers Reality". Just imagine if they developed this property.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...7,-74.482327&spn=0.089012,0.17561&t=k&iwloc=A

According to the map of this tract all of the property in Chatsworth on the side that corners on Savoy Blvd and 563 was owned by the reality company. This means they owned the hotel that has been semi restored in town.

Here is a more detailed description of the boundaries. Starting on the east side of the JCRR at Savoy Blvd and 563 in Chatsworth by the firehouse, the line extends along the JCRR crossing over Buddtown Road ( Route 72 ) to what was then and now the Lebanon Forest. At that point it is turns and travels a short distance until it meets up with the Adams Clay Mining Property which also was previously the Hanover Furnace line. It winds it's way in what is now the Greenwood Forest meeting up with what was then and still is Lauries road, branching off and making it to within a few hundred feet of Union Clay Works. It travels through the woods to Red Oak Grove where it abruptly turns and crosses back over 72. It travels completely through the Plains meeting up with the Shoal Branch where I was today. At this location was the "AI" stone which apparently is no longer there. A more modern cement monument takes it's place.

main.php

From there is follows the Shoals Branch through Long Causeway and then directly to Dukes Bridge. From there is follows Jones Road to 563 and back to the JCRR in Chatsworth. The only exception mentioned is what is now the Parker Preserve Bog that was owned by Garfield DeMarco. Back in 1919 is was owned by Johathan Godfrey. Recognize that name?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...607,-74.517195&spn=0.011009,0.027938&t=k&om=1

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And I had the biggest spider on me I have seen in a long time. I should have taken a photo. And as we were driving around the Chemical dump Jessica saw a black looking snake cross the road and yelled for me to stop. We walked behind the car but it was gone. So the snakes are still out even though I did not see it. There were frogs by the dozen where I was today also.

Guy