The Luck Continues...NJ Pine Barrens

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
I can't post a trip report without a picture of one of these little guys.... a neonate water snake. It's funny to watch them act like their adults.
P1010004-1.jpg

Worm snakes have been under lots of cover this year, here are 2 of the many found thus far.
1a650e25.jpg

one of the bigger ones
P1270019.jpg

During the winter time i layed out a dozen or so boards.... so far they've yeilded lots of redbelly snakes, and this time i fliped a 4 foot black racer. Never did i see a snake bring it's body up from the ground and try to attack your face.
P1010034.jpg

P1010026-1.jpg

P1010024.jpg

It's about time i stumbled upon one of these gals-because i've been searching my butt off. She was found foraging alongside a creek, didn't try to bite one... loud hiss though!
Me with pine snake
P1010056-1.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010047-1.jpg

P1010054.jpg

P1010066-1.jpg

Belly/side shot. She was black with little white speckling 1/3 of the way down. I also noticed some redish blotches on her side (visible in the picture)... is this typical in northern NJ pine snakes?
P1010051.jpg

Well, that's it for now! Hope you guys enjoyed looking!
-Brandon

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
NJSnakeMan said:
It's about time i stumbled upon one of these gals-because i've been searching my butt off. She was found foraging alongside a creek, didn't try to bite one... loud hiss though!
Belly/side shot. She was black with little white speckling 1/3 of the way down. I also noticed some redish blotches on her side (visible in the picture)... is this typical in northern NJ pine snakes?

Well, that's it for now! Hope you guys enjoyed looking!
-Brandon

Hey, Brandon; way to go! Congrats on your first pine snake! You've been overdue and deserving a nice one. Guess it hasn't been for lack of tryin', right?
As for the reddish blotches... I'm embarassed to say that I just don't remember that feature on pines I've seen of ANY provenance. I'd hate to think that I just didn't notice, priding myself on my powers of observation, 'n'all.... Live and learn!
And oh yeah! Those black racers can definitely be aggresive. My dad took some 8 mm movie footage of one I'd recently caught pursuing me across our lawn. One "over-the-shoulder" strike she threw at me took her completely off the ground in two of the frames of the movie.
Thanks for the great report.
Dave

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
NJSnakeMan said:

The reddish blotches are not typical but not uncommon either. That's a nice pine though.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Brandon, you have been due, congrats. About how big was she? I can't tell from the pic, she looks pretty long in your hands. After seeing that pic I now realize the one I came across was a really thick snake.
Chris

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are nice photo's. That shows what a macro can do when it works :(

Guy