The new 3D LIDAR site is now online!

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The first full-featured version of the site is now available for your browsing pleasure with 5 different maps (and more on the way). You can choose either aerial imagery or shaded terrain for each map and also share links or create bookmarks that incorporate all your settings. Here are a couple examples:

aph.jpg

frm.jpg

Notice that you'll also see an elevation scale with the atlas-shading overlay. For more documentation, see the help file: https://online.boydsmaps.com/3d-beta-help/

I've tested this on two different Macs with Safari and Chrome and on a Windows 7 PC with Firefox and Chrome with no problems. Please let me know if you have any issues. Tried it quickly on my 2018 iPad and the site crashed, so I didn't bother trying on my Android tablet or iPhone. It's really just for computers at this point, sorry.

In the future I'd like to make this work with larger regional maps, and have some ideas for how to do that. But it's a big project that would have to be written from scratch. So, for now I'll just concentrate on adding more individual maps. The three.js API is mostly used for 3d computer games, not geodata. So there's no built-in support for maps, coordinates, etc.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think! :)

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I checked it out. Very nice. I especially like your help pages. Concise and easy to understand.

A niggling little detail. Where did you get the notion that Apple Pie hill is 300 feet above sea level?

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Where did you get the notion that Apple Pie hill is 300 feet above sea level?
I was actually surprised by that, but it's what the LIDAR data shows. 313 feet is the highest point in that map. I should probably look into that a little deeper. Maybe it is reading the fire tower or something?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was actually surprised by that, but it's what the LIDAR data shows. 313 feet is the highest point in that map. I should probably look into that a little deeper. Maybe it is reading the fire tower or something?
Could be. I'm sure it takes the highest surface, so your're probably right, that's what it's doing.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Don’t be so sure of that. This is what’s known as “bare earth LIDAR” that is supposed to see right through any trees or structures and show the ground. And that’s what I see in most places, where a house looks like a cellar hole.

But I’ll investigate further when I have a chance this afternoon.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
So, something is definitely strange with my 1-meter LIDAR data. This was used directly from the USGS files, don't think I changed it but that's always possible. Anyway, here's a very high resolution view of the Apple Pie "Summit" with contours based on 1-meter LIDAR (click to see it full-size). It shows elevations ~300 feet.

applePie1m.jpg

And here's the 3-meter LIDAR version, showing heights ~200 feet.

applePie3m.jpg

I'm gonna say that the 3-meter data is correct, and don't understand why this doesn't agree with the 1-meter version. These ~200-foot elevation numbers are also in line with my other maps:

https://online.boydsmaps.com/#17/39.80735/-74.58941/lidarHD

https://online.boydsmaps.com/#17/39.80735/-74.58941/pinesHD

Weird. I changed the reference to 300 ft in the help file - thanks for catching this. Will also need to correct the elevation scale on the site.

Last edited:

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Spring Hill is also available now. Since this is the lower resolution 3-meter LIDAR, I used the 2017 NAIP imagery and did some color correction. Makes me want to head right out to the "mountains". :D

sh1.jpg

The shaded terrain....

sh2.jpg

But I need to review my code again, because it seems that the links I create have a slightly different view when I open them. Must be a recent bug, because I haven't seen this problem before.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I wonder if that one odd Lidar reading has something to do with sea level. I can't see how, unless it read the surrounding terrain as 100 feet above sea level, and then switched to an elevation reference of the hill by some other source and so added 200?

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
I am going to run down the problem later tonight. But the most logical explanation is..... I screwed up! :D This was the first map I made using this technique, and I was not very concerned about the accuracy, I was concentrating on the code. Will plan on replacing it. Another issue with all the first maps is that their elevation scales are not linear. In other words, the colors are not evenly spaced along the elevation scale.That was a technique I used to bring out detail in the lowlands on the big LIDAR map But it's not needed on these little "slices of earth".

Reactions: bobpbx

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
OK, I re-built the Apple Pie terrain, aerial, shader and legend from scratch. Don't know how, but I definitely messed it up before. These elevations are right in the zone now and the shading is linear, which more accurately shows the slope of the hill. :)

ap1.jpg

Also tried to fix the problem with the links not matching the original. But this needs further study, there may be some variation depending on exactly how you maneuver the camera before saving the link.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Also tried to fix the problem with the links not matching the original. But this needs further study
I *think* this is fixed now, screwed around with it yesterday and improved it, but the link still didn't quite match the original. Overnight it struck me that this might just be a precision issue

Nope that didn't fix it in all cases after all. :bang:

Last edited:

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Phew... finally got this fixed, and it involved a lot of new code plus a new format for map links. The problem (if anyone actually cares) was that simply specifying the viewer's position in 3d space isn't enough. You also need to know *what* the viewer is looking at. Anyway, links should now faithfully reproduce what you originally saw. Old links won't work properly, since I changed the format. Any old links will open the correct map and overlay, but will just show the default view.

Here are new versions of a couple screenshots I posted earlier. Let me know if you have problems with these.

link1.jpg

link2.jpg

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Just finished a big update that includes new maps of Mannis Pond, Hampton Furnace and Friendship. And there's also a new overlay type for each map - monochrome shading where brightness corresponds to height. I think they help show surface details because you're not distracted by the bright colors. It also has sort of a cool "lunar" look.... :D

spring-mono.jpg

friendship.jpg

There is still some weirdness with certain map links not being the same as the original. This has been a challenge to debug, but I'll get it right eventually.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin