The new 3D LIDAR site is now online!

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Be sure to use the elevation scale when evaluating heights, because I have exaggerated elevation in a totally "unscientific" way. I plan to add a way to turn off vertical exaggeration in a future upgrade. The terrain will get pretty boring when you do that however. :) But yeah, Bear Swamp Hill is only about 90 feet above the surrounding terrain.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Yeah, I thought about doing that, but not sure how. It would be nice to have a "view in 3d" link on the regular site, but the coverage is so limited, I don't think that makes sense yet. And the 3d site is clearly beta software that's in a state of change. If I decide to turn it into a full-featured map with a larger coverage area, then this beta site will go away and the links will change.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Have been working "under the hood" on this and have greatly improved the performance and capabilities. But you won't see any of these improvements here yet.... it's all "work in progress" that's only on my development server at home. Have decided to move ahead and build a full-featured 3d map of the core pines. It will take a month or more to roll out the public version - it's a big project.

The new version will support geographic coordinates and let you view much larger maps. I already have it working with 4km x 4km imagery, although it takes a long time to load that much data (16.7 million elevation samples - the current version only has 500,000). Here's a comparison, viewed from the same position. Will have to see if I can improve loading speed enough to make this practical. But regardless, the maps will be much larger and the coverage will be seamless. Will use overlapping map tiles, so if a feature is on the edge of one tile, it will be in the middle of the next.

compare.jpg

The new version will only support high resolution 1-meter LIDAR, so that's a limitation. Just checked again, and there's no 1-meter coverage for Ocean or Atlantic counties, but I can add when it's available. This is the approximate coverage area. When the new version comes online, the beta version will go away and any old links will no longer work.

coverage.jpg

Now, aside from Bob, there doesn't seem to be much interest in this.... but these are my plans for the future of the site. :)

Last edited: