The new boydsmaps app is ready!

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Also, there are no buttons using Chrome on iPhone - see screenshot. Safari works great

Took a few minutes to check this out. What iPhone are you using and what version of Chrome? Everything seems to work and look fine for me on my old iPhone 6s Plus with Chrome 87.0.4280.77 (current app store version) on iOS 14. Seems like your version has a larger footer? Weird.

As I said, you cannot install the app using Chrome on the iPhone, Apple only allows that with Safari. So you will only be able to use the site in the browser, instead of full-screen.

chrome1.jpg

chrome2.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's another big update that adds 7 maps from HERE.com:

Street maps (day or night colors). Zoom in all the way to level 20 for a lot of detail. HERE provides Garmin's map data, so these may look familiar.

streets.png

Then there's satellite imagery (with or without streets). And it's not just for New Jersey, HERE covers the whole world! Zoom out to level 2 to move between continents.

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#18.00/51.499249/-0.127152/hereHybrid/72.60/60.00

london.png

There are also maps of current traffic conditions (with day or night colors)

traffic.png

And shaded terrain with streets

here.png

I'm a registered HERE developer, but was reluctant to add these because there are usage limits which result in charges if they're exceeded. They've been on the old site all along though and I've never seen anywhere near enough usage to get charged. We'll just have to see what happens, I might have to pull them at some point. But I really like these maps and wanted to give it a try, they're formatted just for mobile devices, should be nice to have in the car.

If you've been using the site recently, you might have some problems. If so, you'll need to clear cached data from your phone, as I explained in this post. Enjoy, and let me know what you think! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Weather radar is now available in the app for the continental US, just in time for tonight's rain! :) Nothing to see here in NJ right now though.

radar.jpg

Big storm in the midwest though...

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#5.00/41.6295/-85.2308/conus/0.00/0.00

radar2.jpg

The NWS only provides the radar imagery, you need to add your own base map. On the other site, I overlaid the radar on a HERE road map but was never happy with that. Had to make the radar very transparent to be able to see the map and that obscures the details. So I made my own simple US basemap that is drawn on top of the radar. The idea was to concentrate on the radar imagery itself and only provide some simple landmarks as a frame of reference. Turned out to be harder to acheive clarity than I expected, may want to re-visit this at some point. Maximum zoom is level 11, the radar pixels are so large that there's no point in zooming in any farther.

Note that this map does not automatically refresh, it's a static map that doesn't change after you select it. The imagery on the server is updated every 5 minutes, you will need to manually re-load the map to see any changes as time passes. This is probably obvious, but when you link to the radar map, it shows current conditions. So, by the time you read this, that link will look different from the screenshot above.

As mentioned earlier, if you don't see the map then it may be necessary to clear your cache by deleting site data. The map also works in a web browser on your computer, but the style is intended for a phone's small screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin