The new boydsmaps app is ready!

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Sorry, no idea. It's hard enough for me just to keep up with South Jersey. ;)

Looking at that link, it is 1-meter LIDAR so I doubt you will find much better. PASDA has such a wealth of data, and PA is such a big state, it's a little bewildering. There are quite a few additional PASDA datasets that I would like to add to the mobile app. Just did a quick test and it would appear to be pretty straightforward to add that hillshade map (famous last words?). Will have a look when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: pinelandpaddler

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Pennsylvania 1-meter LIDAR is now available. If you have been using the app recently, you may need to clear site data on your phone as described in a previous post. If you're using a computer, do a Google search such as "Firefox clear cache", "Chrome clear cache", etc. This is only necessary if the following link doesn't work for you.

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#14.00/41.223673/-74.878624/paLidar/0.00/0.00

paLidar.jpg

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Pennsylvania 1-meter LIDAR is now available. If you have been using the app recently, you may need to clear site data on your phone as described in a previous post. If you're using a computer, do a Google search such as "Firefox clear cache", "Chrome clear cache", etc. This is only necessary if the following link doesn't work for you.

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#14.00/41.223673/-74.878624/paLidar/0.00/0.00

View attachment 15025
Awesome, thanks! Look at those glacial meltwater megaflood features in the area of the bull's eye!

Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Staring at the black and white LIDAR got you down? Come on over to LIDAR in the Pines 2021 HD where it's always bright and sunny! :dance:

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#16.00/39.738293/-75.333768/lidar2021hd/-12.60/60.00

compare.jpg

Similar in style to the original 2018 LIDAR in the Pines HD, this version features the same 1-meter coverage for all of South Jersey as the black and white version. As we have discussed, the way that buildings appear in the imagery is a bit confusing and inconsistent, so I have included the same building footprints used on my 2020 topo. And you will also see property lines as you zoom in, with level 17 showing all parcels larger than 1/8 acre.

The new map also covers a larger area than the original LIDAR in the Pines HD, uses PNG files for better image quality and was processed in a new way that eliminates the distorted text in the old map. I decided not to put unpaved roads on this map, since they often don't match the LIDAR. Instead, when you zoom to levels 16 and 17, labels are shown on the imagery for named unpaved roads.

If the link above doesn't work or if you aren't able to choose this map from the menu, you will need to clear site data on your phone (or clear your browser cache on a computer) as described in earlier posts.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: manumuskin

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
And here's another new addition, "Canvec" topo maps from the Government of Canada, also known as "Canada Toporama". This one has been a difficult birth and required a lot of detective work and troubleshooting to get working. I had previously given up, but my experience getting John Thorn's Great Britain map working provided the missing piece to the puzzle. Sometimes these load a little slowly, so just be patient. Previous comments about clearing data/cache may also apply here.

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#13.00/45.421822/-75.707580/toporama/0.00/0.00

canvec.jpg

Reactions: Menantico

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
A total of 103 maps are now available in the app. :dance: Among the new additions are Pennsylvania aerials from 2004 through 2019, Maryland aerials from 1998 through 2019 and a map of New Zealand by John Thorn.

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#14.00/-46.598091/168.334866/newzealand/0.00/0.00

nz.png

Also 2007 through 2019 West Virginia aerials (including infrareds just for @manumuskin :D ) as well as a 1 to 3 meter LIDAR Hillshade mosaic. Don't get too excited, it comes from many different sources and the detail can be be pretty limited. Also, the server won't let you zoom out farther than level 12.

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#14.00/39.002154/-79.729271/wvLIDAR/1.80/60.00

wv.png

All the usual disclaimers apply.... if you can't see all this new imagery then you'll need to clear site data and/or browser cache as previously described. Some of these servers can be slow at times. If you get a blank screen, wait a few seconds for the server to respond. Unfortunately, this is completely beyond my control.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Back to the new LIDAR map... 3d view looks good on a 32" screen. :)

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#14.00/39.847488/-74.288490/lidar2021hd/16.80/60.00

Interesting. I see you centered on the Forked River Mountains. This view shows clearly why the area is defined as the coastal plain. On this view the entire Forked River watershed is plainly seen, as is 95% of the Cedar Creek and Oyster Creek watersheds. Good stomping grounds. I know them well and spent 38 years in and around them.

Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It's either feast or famine when it comes of open geodata. Of course, we are fairly spoiled in NJ with all the free resources NJGIN offers. PA has Penn State's PASDA which is very impressive and the WV GIS Technical Center also has a great selection. But for Virginia: nothing. Massachussets: nothing. Connecticut: nothing, Maine: nothing.

I need to spend more time researching however, it's possible that I missed something..

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I might be retiring to the Florida Panhandle but thats not for at least five years,Hope they have some good stuff down there. Swamps and gators,I love it but it will be war on "Far Aints" I hates em!

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
But for Virginia: nothing.

I stand corrected, there are a few maps at the Virginia Geographic Information Network after all. The software I used for testing didn't work with them but I wrote my own little program and it worked. There are current aerials and also tax parcels (just the boundaries with no labels), maybe a couple others. Not much, but it's something... will add these and more later today.

Also, there's an error in some of the West Virginia configuration data that I will correct in the next update.

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I added the current Virginia aerials, the parcels map is not really compatible unfortunately. This needs more research...

Today's update includes a pretty significant feature that you may not notice. As more maps are added, the map menu gets longer and contains a bunch of maps that actually don't have coverage of NJ - the same also applies to other states in our region. This is because "bounding boxes" are used to determine whether a map covers your location.

These are rectangles drawn around each state. You can see the problem in this example with the magenta bounding box surrounding Maryland. Portions of South Jersey, Delaware, Virginia and West Virgina all fall inside this box even though the Maryland maps have no coverage for those states.

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 10.30.26 AM.png

If you're only interested in NJ maps (for example), you can choose it manually in the Map Menu options but the problem was the menu always defaulted to "automatic" when you started the app.

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 5.42.04 PM.png

That has been changed now. When you press the Set Home button in the Main Menu, it will also save your preferred map group.

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 5.44.28 PM.png

So, in this example, New Jersey will be the default map group the next time you start the app.

Usual disclaimers apply - you may have to clear your cache and/or erase site data if this new feature doesn't work for you.

EddieD

Feb 13, 2021
Mays Landing
Well, I said it would be ready by the end of the year... and I made it with 6 whole hours to spare! :D Remember, this is beta software that only offers basic functions at this point:

10 years of New Jersey aerials from NJGIN
12 of my maps of the Pines
USGS National Map topo and satellite for the whole US
OpenTopoMap coverage of the whole world
3d map viewer
GPS tracking mode

Don't get too excited about all the buttons in the Main Menu, most of them don't do anything yet. ;) But it will give you an idea of what's ahead for the app, although it will take months to complete. At this point, only the help, site and map info buttons are working.

Have done a fair amount of testing on two phones running Android 10 and two iPhones running iOS 14, but I've probably missed something, so let me know what problems you encounter. It was designed specifically for phones but will also work on your Windows or Mac computer in a web browser using the link below. Some things will look awkward on a computer since the app was designed for a small screen.

To get started, install the app on your phone, it only takes a second. After installing, always open the app directly from the boydsmaps icon on your home screen instead of a browser.

If you're reading this on a phone, just press the link below. Otherwise, type it into either Chrome or Safari and follow these instructions. When you're done, go to your phone's home screen, press the boydsmaps app and enjoy. Should be pretty easy to figure out, there are only 5 buttons. There's a detailed help file available from the main menu. Happy New Year everyone!!! :dance:

mobile.boydsmaps.com

View attachment 14509
Hey, I just want to thank you for your work with these maps. I never knew where or how to obtain and use such maps. I've been playing around with them and seeing the different views and even time periods that you can see of Mays Landing! Wow! Fascinating stuff, I could waste (waste? LOL!) an entire day looking at these maps! Thanks!

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
So, I have some big news this evening (as I finish up a 6-hour mapping marathon). The app now includes full LIDAR coverage for the entire US - actually even more, there's coverage for some parts of Canada and Mexico as well.

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#9.00/44.985170/-116.786027/us3depShade3/-21.00/60.00

3dep.png

Now the resolution varies, depending on the location. The best appears to top out at zoom level 17 (1-meter/pixel) other parts are more like level 14, but you can over-zoom everything to level 20 to see detail. Even better, you can choose from six different maps rendered in different styles (some are pretty psychedelic).

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#16.00/39.847716/-74.289172/us3depAspect/0.00/0.00

aspect.png

It began with me aimlessly searching to see if I missed any USGS map services when I found this (which is pretty obscure). But I couldn't get it to work and was at the point of giving up. Some further "detective work" found the pieces that I was missing and I was quite surprised by the wealth of data. Have been so busy putting this together, I've barely looked at the imagery itself. However, I suspect it will be most useful outside the pines, the shaders are not tweaked very well for our flat terrain. The aspect shader is interesting for the pines though, from the Map Info: "the aspect shader is a color visualization of the compass direction that a hillside or slope faces, measured clockwise in degrees from 0 (due north) to 360 (again due north)".

Anyway, this should keep you "LIDAR Peepers" busy for awhile. In the meantime... I'm gonna have some dinner. :)

(If these maps don't work for you, the usual advice about clearing site data/cache applies - see earlier posts in this thread)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
So, I have some big news this evening (as I finish up a 6-hour mapping marathon). The app now includes full LIDAR coverage for the entire US - actually even more, there's coverage for some parts of Canada and Mexico as well.

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#9.00/44.985170/-116.786027/us3depShade3/-21.00/60.00

View attachment 15076

Now the resolution varies, depending on the location. The best appears to top out at zoom level 17 (1-meter/pixel) other parts are more like level 14, but you can over-zoom everything to level 20 to see detail. Even better, you can choose from six different maps rendered in different styles (some are pretty psychedelic).

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#16.00/39.847716/-74.289172/us3depAspect/0.00/0.00

View attachment 15077

It began with me aimlessly searching to see if I missed any USGS map services when I found this (which is pretty obscure). But I couldn't get it to work and was at the point of giving up. Some further "detective work" found the pieces that I was missing and I was quite surprised by the wealth of data. Have been so busy putting this together, I've barely looked at the imagery itself. However, I suspect it will be most useful outside the pines, the shaders are not tweaked very well for our flat terrain. The aspect shader is interesting for the pines though, from the Map Info: "the aspect shader is a color visualization of the compass direction that a hillside or slope faces, measured clockwise in degrees from 0 (due north) to 360 (again due north)".

Anyway, this should keep you "LIDAR Peepers" busy for awhile. In the meantime... I'm gonna have some dinner. :)

(If these maps don't work for you, the usual advice about clearing site data/cache applies - see earlier posts in this thread)
Boyd, the tinted shade map looks like it would be really neat, but there is something going on with the resolution. Are you seeing the same problem?