The New Jersey Archives

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I'm hoping one of you historian types can help straighten me out on the several series of volumes that seem to go by the combined name of "The New Jersey Archives." So far I've identified:

"Documents Relating to the Colonial History of the State of New Jersey." I've located five of the first ten volumes of this online, along with a general index (vol. 0). I have seen references that imply there are ten volumes in the "first series", but I have seen a volume 29, and a volume 19.

"Documents Relating to the Revolutionary History of the State of New Jersey." I have only seen a couple of volumes, and have no idea how many there are.

"Documents Relating to the Colonial and Revolutionary History of the State of New Jersey." Have seen one or two volumes. No idea how many volumes there are in the series, or how it relates to the first two, if at all.

I've also found "An Analytical Index to the Colonial Documents of New Jersey, in the State Paper Offices of England." This seems to provide an analytical index into the aforementioned series of volumes, but I'm not sure.

Basically I'm trying to find out how each of these series relates to the others, if at all, and how many volumes were originally included.

I'm still Googling around, and coming up with a lot of different online versions, but no overview that maps the whole thing, such as I am hoping an historian might have access to.

Edit: Woudn't you know, next search I do I answer my own question...

Half-title : Archives of the State of New Jersey. First series

On spine : New Jersey Archives

"Prepared and edited by authority of the State of New Jersey, at the request of the New Jersey Historical Society."

Title varies : Vol. 1-33, Documents relating to the colonial history of the State of New Jersey. Vol. 34, Documents relating to the colonial and revolutionary history of the State of New Jersey. Vol. 35-42, Documents relating to the colonial, revolutionary and post-revolutionary history of the State of New Jersey

Running title, Vols. 11-12, 19-20, 24-29, 31 : Extracts from American newspapers relating to New Jersey, 1704-1775

And a descriptive overview here: http://www.carlsbadca.gov/services/departments/library/Documents/User Guides/newjersey.pdf

Should have obeyed my own rule to always do one more search.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
MarkBNJ,

It’s probably a bit out of your geographic range, but I have a nearly complete set of the New Jersey Archives (First & Second Series) on loan at the Township of Hamilton Historical Society in Mays Landing. I’m happy to hear some are being digitized. There was a General Index to the First Series printed in 1888, which is part of the collection at the THHS.

Cheers,
Spung-Man

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You seem to be working on something quite interesting.

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Thanks, Spung-Man, if I come across a question that can be answered in one of those volumes, I'd make the drive. I'll let you know :). Google has a digitized copy of the general index. It's very interesting, but so far I have only managed to find volumes 2, 3, 7, 9, 10, 19, 23, 26, and 29 online. The coverage is very sparse. It would be nice if someone would put the whole thing out there.

Guy, I'm plotting out an historical novel set along the Mullica and eastern seaboard in the years 1765-1783. I've probably bitten off more than I can chew, but the research has been fun regardless.

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Guy, I'm plotting out an historical novel set along the Mullica and eastern seaboard in the years 1765-1783. I've probably bitten off more than I can chew, but the research has been fun regardless.

That's a great thing Mark. I'm curious, is this novel based on some true story, if that makes sense? The reason I ask is I've begun thinking about a novel set during WWII using my great uncle and the rest of his B-24 crew who were shot down over Austria. He grew up an artist in Ocean City, worked on the Rutgers newspaper and died in the tail gunners position of a B-24. Love to sit down and write his life as I imagined it to be.
Good luck with your novel.