The Peckers have arrived!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is a red headed woodpecker in the tree in my front yard. Starts making noise by 5:45AM and goes at it all day. I can't see where the nest is and so far it appears there is only one.

Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We have a Red-Bellied apartment house in a dead Pine out back. They moved in once they discovered how tasty the rear corner of the house was after trying for some time to put holes in the rain gutters every morning around 6am. Sounded like .50 cal practice.

38040351.jpg

Reactions: h2ochild

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There is a red headed woodpecker in the tree in my front yard. Starts making noise by 5:45AM and goes at it all day. I can't see where the nest is and so far it appears there is only one.
Red headed Woodpeckers are on the NJ Endangered list. My wife has seen one several times around the house this year,at least her description of it seems to fit.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Red headed Woodpeckers are on the NJ Endangered list. My wife has seen one several times around the house this year,at least her description of it seems to fit.

The one here does not have a really bright red head all over. Just in one spot. It is in the top of my maple tree all day long making a single call every few minute or so. Nothing responds and I never see a second one. I really have not viewed this one in quite a few days but I hear it all day. I will try and get a photo as soon as I see it again.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Did it look like the bird in post #3 by 46er? Thats actually a red bellied even though it does have a Partially red head and barely discernible reddish tinge to the belly.The red headed would be in post #6. About the same size but much rarer.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I took today off and explored the pines, and when I arrived home I noticed the woodpecker laying down in my yard. It was fully laying on it's side with it's head down on the ground. I grabbed my camera, took this photo, and then started walking towards it. It flew away.

IMG_1734a.jpg

IMG_1734b.jpg

I then went over to my sister-in-laws pool about 2 miles away and while sitting pool side I could hear one in her yard making a racket. I think they are following me. Just saying!

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Red Bellied Woodpecker fledglings , from dusk until 3 AM. It is along video and might keep you up or help you sleep. I am now waiting for the steamy bugs. I'll be back.

Hey ECampbell, those are Northern gray tree frog (Hyla versicolor) vocalizations. Red-bellied woodpeckers are diurnal and wouldn't be vocalizing at night because of increased risk of predation at the nest.

Check out the video 4 rows down on the right from this page for comparison:

https://musicofnature.com/calls-of-frogs-and-toads-of-the-northeast/

Last edited: