The REAL Hen of The Woods

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Today I went down to visit a friend who offered me some Hen of the Woods. He has been piling them up the last few days and gave me several huge clusters. One was only cut a few hours before I got there.

It is a delicious, wild treat. I sautéed the one that was cut today in butter and olive oil with a little sweet onion, fresh garlic and salt and pepper. I loved the texture as it stayed firm after cooking down all of the liquid. The taste was close to the earthiness of a Portobello. We had it as a side dish with a grilled steak.

I have three 1 gallon bags filled to freeze and my son is giving some to his girlfriend's parents.

Now, to find them on my own !
He said I have to go now so I am going to check a few spots tomorrow after work.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I recently met someone from Illinois who is a mushroom hunter. I've alway heard about chicken and gen if the woods. I never realized they were two different types until he showed me the difference. I sent him some pictures and he identified them for me. Though I still wouldn't attempt to eat them.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
John,
Bob had found somewhat comforting information that I read as well. It is on americanmushrooms.com
Essentially, Hen of the Woods has no poisonous look-alikes.
We all ate large servings on Tuesday and my son and I felt fine the next day. My wife on the other hand, felt crappy all day yesterday and blamed it on the Hen. I think it was a little psychological but she now thinks she may be allergic to mushrooms.
????

Reactions: Cherokee261