The Slag Thread

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Gabe and I have been having some discussions about iron slag. There's furnace slag and there's forge slag. This article also talks about foundry slag.

From what I've seen, there's two types of furnace slag. Slag that I've seen at Batsto, Hanover, and Federal Furnace (Lakehurst) looks like this:

IMG_0004~1.jpg

Note the rust color, and how "spongy" the material looks. It seems to have had a number of air pockets. Also, in many cases furnace slag has pieces of charcoal embedded in it.

There's also the glass-like slag that can be found at Martha:

slag.jpg

(MarkBNJ's Photo)

Obviously that's a very different type of slag than the first picture. I hypothesize that the glass-like slag comes from the hot blast method, where hot air was blasted in the charge, as opposed to the cold blast method, where the air blasted into the charge was the ambient temperature of the air around the furnace. The hot blast method was far more efficient than the cold-blast, and produced slag with less iron in it.

Finally, there's forge slag, which is made up of the impurities removed from the re-melted pig iron. This is more lava-like, smooth and uniform in texture and composition.

DSCF0002_001.jpg

This is a piece of slag from Mary Ann Forge. Note the lack of oxidation indicating a lack of iron in the slag.

So why this thread? Well, mostly because I am not 100% sure about my theory of the glass-like slag from the hot blast method. The article I linked before says:

Proof positive that a blast furnace got into operation was dense
glassy slag typically dark green or dark blue in color. This material
is glass and has been used by glassmakers who bought old furnace slag
piles. To date, not one piece of that has been found at Falling Creek.

The typical product of a forge is a bubbly slag with charcoal pieces,
iron lumps and other materials encased in a silica lump. At the end
of the day, each hearth at a forge was emptied. These items are
called skulls or mossers because they resemble a human skull. They
are discarded. The floodplain at Falling Creek is littered with these.

The typical product of a foundry is a denser, ropey or lava appearing
lump of slag. Both the foundry and the forge are huge producers of
waste products that are trodden into the ground around the operation
and are in fact hauled off to build up land from marshy areas.

We have all three types of slag, but if this article is right, the slag that you can see at Hanover, Batsto, and Federal Furnace is forge slag, and the slag found at Mary Ann is foundry slag.

It's confusing, and I think it would be helpful to have a discussion about it and hopefully come to a conclusion.

Ben:

You and Gabe are moving into the technical realm of metallurgy with the study of slag. There are three things that affect the content and appearance of slag:

1. The temperature of the furnace;

2. The type and quantity of flux used;

3. The type and constituency of ore employed in producing the pig iron.

In the 1908 work, The Blast Furnace and the Manufacture of Pig Iron, author Robert Forsythe states:

By the uninitiated, slag is too often looked upon as a highly undesirable, but quite often unavoidable excoriation from metallurgical processes. The proper mental attitude toward a slag is to consider it a reagent divinely appointed for the purification of metals. Since in any metallurgical process, all of the non-volatile constituents must appear in either the metal or the slag, it follows that whatever we would eliminate from the metal must be accommodated in the slag. This result can be accomplished only by giving to the slag such character that it will offer to the impurity a stronger attraction than is offered by the metal (p. 157).

To the practised eye, the appearance of the slag tells much concerning its composition and the temperature of formation. A slag that is high in earthy bases has a light gray to bluish granular fracture when cold. When high in lime, slags, “slake,” or crumble to powder soon after cooling. This tendency is retarded by the presence of magnesia. As the proportion of bases decreases, the slag shows vitreous tendency—at first on the outer edges only, but as the acid constituents increase, it may become glassy throughout. The presence of alumina opposes this tendency, and gives a more earthy appearance than silica alone. Siliceous slags can be drawn out into fine strings just before solidifying, while basic slags are very short. Hot acid slags, when run into the granulating pit, froth up into light fluffy heaps, while basic slags sink quietly to the bottom. Other things being equal, the slag from a cold furnace will be more vitreous than from a hot furnace. This is because it is more siliceous since less silicon has been reduced from the slag and gone into combination with the iron.

A siliceous slag is more likely to carry an appreciable quantity of oxide of iron than a basic slag. This is because unsatisfied SiO2 will seize upon any unreduced iron that reaches the fusion zone more readily than when it is saturated with bases. For this reason slags from a cold furnace generally have a dark color and high specific gravity, particularly when improperly prepared material is projected into the hearth. Calcareous slags sometimes give a dark color when a furnace is in trouble without losing their earthy appearance or containing an undue proportion of rion. The dark color appears to be simply a stain, probably caused by finely divided carbon (p. 166).

Writing in his 1852 book, A Treatise on Metallurgy, Frederick Overman notes concerning meadow or bog iron:

Bog-ore [is] brown hematite [or] hydrated oxide of iron. …This is a very abundant iron ore, and a source of cheap metal; it forms the bulk of ore in this country. Hematite is essentially a hydrated peroxide, with definite quantities of water, which vary from 9 to 13 per cent. In its purest form it contains from 50 to 62 per cent, of metal. The varieties of this ore are very numerous; it occurs in all shades of color, from black to a faint yellow. …Bog-ore often contains from ½ to ¾ per cent. of phosphorus.

…Phosphoric acid is frequently found in iron ores; quite as well in those which are primitive as in those of the coal formations and younger ores. Phosphoric acid in contact with coal is converted into phosphorus; and as iron has strong affinities for phosphorus, we always find it in the metal if it has been in the ore or fuel—particularly in gray metal. …Phosphorus, unlike sulphur, causes iron to be very fluid even in small quantities and at low heats. Owing to this property, phosphorus is less vexatious when present in iron than sulphur. Iron with phosphorus is white, close, and compact; assumes a high polish, and is less attacked by oxygen than other alloys. It is extremely brittle, so that the least force will break it when cooled below 32°. Phosphorus will drive sulphur from iron, when the latter is present; still, they may be both in crude iron at the same time. Sulphur is removed before phosphorus can be evaporated. Iron which contains phosphorus melts easily, works well in refining, is easily welded, and is in fact very managable (pp. 471, 477).

In 1932, John Lord Bacon wrote about forges and its slag in his volume, Forging:

Wrought iron is made in what is called the puddling furnace. Into this furnace is charged pig iron, which is heated to a molten state and kept boiling. A temperature in excess of 2150° Fahrenheit is required to melt the pig iron. The atmosphere in this furnace is oxidizing, that is, the oxygen combines at the high temperature with the carbon and impurities in the pig iron (and even with some of the iron itself); these are burned or oxidized out, leaving an iron with little or no carbon, silicon, and manganese in it. To assist this oxidation, men operating the puddling furnace continually stir up the molten iron with long poles of green wood or bars of iron. When the carbon, silicon, and manganese have been removed, the iron is no longer in a liquid state but is in a solid pasty condition, sometimes referred to as a weldable condition. This solid condition of the iron results from the raised melting point due to a purer iron being present after burning out the impurities. The melting point of pig iron, such as remains, melts around 2800° Fahrenheit.

In this pasty condition the iron is removed in small balls dripping with slag, formed from the oxides of the different impurities, and is placed into a squeezer. This removes some of the slag and welds together the iron, by squeezing the iron closer together, something on the idea of squeezing water out of sponge. After this squeezing operation, the iron is passed through rollers to be formed into muck bars of wrought iron. This material is used as a base for the manufacture of wrought iron and steel, but the muck bars cannot be used commercially in this form.

To further refine the muck bars and make them into a good grade of wrought iron, the bars are piled into a furnace, heated to a welding heat, and then rolled or hammered into commercial bars. The more working the iron receives the better quality the wrought iron becomes. The working at a welding heat further welds together the iron and expels the slag. What slag is left in the iron is elongated into long thin fibers (pp. 4-5).

Obviously, not everything quoted above applies to Pineland furnaces and forges. Nevertheless, the basic metallurgical chemistry does not change. I have many other works in my library that deal with the production and processing of iron and steel. Let me know if you and Gabe would like to avail yourselves of these sources.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Thanks, Jerseyman. So you think that an earlier cold-blast furnace could have produced "glassy" slag depending on the composition of the iron and flux?

Ben:

Based on the text I quoted, that is the case. Funny, you would think the higher temperature would produce the vitreous slag, but it it is the other way ’round and the sponge-like slag results from the higher temperature and possibly changes in fluxing agents.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Well, the reason why I thought that the vitreous slag came from higher temperatures was because the glassy slag I found was at Martha, which I know was a hot blast furnace. It also seems to be lower in iron content, whereas the slag that seems to be higher in iron content and not glassy at all seemed to come from cold blast furnaces.

Also, a lot of the spongy slag I've found seems to have charcoal embedded in it, which would indicate lower temperatures and a less efficient process of separating the iron from the impurities.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Jerseyman, that was interesting reading that, especially the part about squeezing the balls of iron dripping with slag to make it more pure.

You go to a lot of work to "answer the mail" so to speak. Do you actually retype everything you find in the books to do that, or do you have technological help. If you retype, kudos to you Ironman...Er, Jersyman.

Thanks Jerseyman, that was interesting reading that, especially the part about squeezing the balls of iron dripping with slag to make it more pure.

You go to a lot of work to “answer the mail” so to speak. Do you actually retype everything you find in the books to do that, or do you have technological help. If you retype, kudos to you Ironman...Er, Jerseyman.

Bob:

No technological help here—strictly fingers flying over the keyboard in my best imitation of a speed typist. It often does take quite a bit of time to provide these responses. I think I had to log back in three times as I previewed my progress in constructing the reply.

I try to answer questions to the best of my ability based on the resources I have at hand in my library. Hence, my postings do become lengthy at times. Some folks might ask why I bother, but to me, Ben’s forums provide me with a great diversion from my regular professional work and most of the time I either already possess the knowledge or know where to find the answers to the questions being posed.

As long as folks don’t tire of me chiming in on historical questions and/or inserting my sometimes off-the-wall humor, I will continue to post here.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Bob:

As long as folks don’t tire of me chiming in on historical questions and/or inserting my sometimes off-the-wall humor, I will continue to post here.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

That will never happen. Your vast knowlege and resource (and humor) is always appreciated!

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Note the rust color, and how "spongy" the material looks. It seems to have had a number of air pockets. Also, in many cases furnace slag has pieces of charcoal embedded in it.

it is interesting timming that you started this thread now and made this comment inparticular. Please see my thread in trips reports ("ore pond")

jeff

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Fascinating, Jerseyman. Thanks for taking the time to transpose those texts. Like Ben I was surprised by the idea that the more vitreous slags came from colder furnaces. But reading that closely it seems like other factors, such as acidity, also come into play.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
This discussion came up between Ben and I as we were poking around the West Mill Creek in search for the site of Batsto forge. Along a few spots on the stream, loads of slag could be seen along the river banks and bottom. One of these spots I believe to have been the Batsto Forge site. Another spot was the site of a dam that was built sometime in the late 19th century for the paper mill at Pleasant Mills. It would appear a bunch of slag from the forge site was removed and used as fill for the dam.

The slag is quite heavy. I broke a piece in half and found it to be dark gray with a vesicular texture, indicating a high iron content. In Iron in the Pines, Pierce states that the site of the Batsto Forge is littered with heaps of forge slag, which he described as being heavier and less porous than the furnace slag. I'll have to get a picture for you guys. When I suggested to Ben that I believed this to be forge slag, he retorted that forge slag would have less iron than the furnace slag. He also noted a piece of charcoal in the slag and said that it would be unlikely for slag from the forge to have included charcoal. Come, let us reason together.