The Stagecoach Stop- Medford

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/news/bct/from-the-ashes-a-new-landmark/

Looks like it's about to come down (dated from Oct 28th). If anybody wanted to get any last minute pictures from the outside, this may be your last chance. Does anybody know any history about this place? Apparently it dates to 1810, so it's a shame to see a 200 year old building (fire damaged or not) come down. The article states that a new building will be built in its place, which will look exactly like the old one, but it just isn't the same.

What sparked my interest was when I drove by it a few weeks ago and snapped a picture:
4059051576_4695133f43.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22516573@N07/4059051576/

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I drove past there myself last week and was thinking how sad that place looked. What a shame....

This was the first time I can remember ever driving by, I never drive through Medford. However on that day I decided to take 541 home from 295. I guess I should consider myself lucky to have seen the original building before its razed.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
After some mild research:

The original Indian Chief Tavern was built by Richard Reeve in 1810. At this time, it was operated by a man named Samuel Hartman. It is he who is credited with naming the tavern. Hartman chose this name because the lodge of an Indian Chief once stood on this site, according to Charles Boyer. After his death in 1824, Hartman's widow ran the hotel for a year, before it was taken over by Stacy Kirkbride.

This was the heyday of the stagecoach, with stages arriving from Philadelphia via Marlton heading to Vincentown or Taunton to Mt Holly. Around 1847, the innkeeper was Jacob Leeds. Behind the main hotel, a stable with 20 stalls and a 100' shed along with wood and ice houses were built in 1852. The dining room of the hotel gained a reputation for having outstanding fare.

The Indian Chief flourished until the coming of the railroad to Medford in the 1880's, when the clientele changed. Wayfarers would travel by rail to use the hotel as a central point, serving a wide area. They would rent a horse from the innkeeper or livery stable, and return to the Indian Chief at night. Vacationers and others used the hotel in a similar manner. Charles Martin was reported to be the owner in 1883. The balcony was added around 1910.

With the passing of the railroad era came the automobile and the old hotel rooms were no longer used. The dining room was closed. "Doc" Miller was said to have owned it around 1923, and it was used as gathering place during Prohibition. The Philadelphia, Marlton and Medford line stopped running around 1927 and was officially shut down in 1931. But it was Prohibition which ultimately dealt a final blow to the old hotel. It was sold. Other proprietors and managers have included Ed Jennings and Tom Azman, among others.

In the mid-1900's, the old RR tracks to Camden were torn up and the current Rte# 70 was laid on their former road bed. The Indian Chief Tavern name moved to it's present location.

Due to lack of care over the next 40 years, time and the elements had taken its toll on the old hotel building. It was in 1972 that Frank Salicondro, a local businessman, bought the property. His brother was contracted to do the rebuild, and it was because of their love for the village that they envisioned a rehab including shops, professional offices, and apartments. Albert's coffee shop, on the corner, was a mainstay during the 70's & 80's. It was Frank, himself, who named it the Stagecoach Stop.

Once again, we have a departure of a piece of local history. Fortunately, the village became a "historic zone" in August of 1973. Because of this, all buildings being erected in the core of the village must conform to a certain historic appearance. So, at least the aesthetic will be there if not the history.

John-

John:

Congratulations! You have done well in preparing your documentation of the building. I appreciate the effort you exerted in both your research and the quality of your presentation!

You have factually stated the case, although, if you do not mind, I would respectfully hone your information a wee bit sharper with some additional factoids.

To add to your list of hotelers, I can tell you that Robert Snyder of Moorestown purchased the Indian Chief in August 1895 for $11,000—a decent amount of money for the time and indicative that the old hotel still commanded a regular clientele!

Regarding the coming of the railroad, while it is true that the Philadelphia, Marlton & Medford Railroad (PM&M) arrived in Medford during 1881, you overlooked the Mount Holly, Lumberton & Medford Railroad (MHL&M), which established its terminus in Medford in 1869, a full twelve years before the line from Haddonfield. The MHL&M survived as an operating railroad until the coming of Conrail in April 1976. While Conrail did continue operations over the route to Medford and the feed mill there for a short time, the quasi-public railroad moved quickly to formally abandon the route and remove the rails.

The Camden & Atlantic Railroad (C&A) constructed the PM&M to provide the parent company, then an independent railroad, with a connection to a Pennsylvania Railroad-operated rail line in Burlington County and it chose the MHL&M. Two years after the C&A completed the PM&M, the Pennsylvania Railroad took control of the C&A, thereby rendering the PM&M obsolete in its original conception and, as you stated, the line shut down in 1931. The New Jersey State Highway Department first proposed acquiring the railroad right-of-way for building Route 40 (now Route 70) between Marlton and Medford in April 1930. The state subsequently purchased the right-of-way, obstensibly from where the Old Marlton Pike leaves Route 70 in the area of Cropwell to near the Union Fire Company building in Medford, and paid almost $300,000 to have that section of the highway paved with concrete.

Keep up the great work, Pine Baron! We like denizens who dwell in the caves of knowledge salute you!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
You have factually stated the case, although, if you do not mind, I would respectfully hone your information a wee bit sharper with some additional factoids.

Jerseyman-

I would never mind you honing any information that I post. Or correct it, for that matter. That would only mean we would all be gaining additional knowledge. :eng101:

As a kid, I remember the tracks alongside the Kirby Bros. feed store on North Main St, just off what used to be the Medford circle. Box cars would be dropped off there for unloading. The tracks ended there, at that time, but at one time crossed over Main St. There were half-paved over tracks crossing there in the early 70's. We used to walk the remaining tracks east from there down behind the (new) Indian Chief Tavern, past the Knitwear Mill for a few miles.

I couldn't discover the name of this line in my musings, and as I didn't want to post false or misleading information, I omitted it. Thank you for filling in the blanks.

John-

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
Pine Baron, I also remember walking the tracks as a child. I recall some sort of concrete railroad bridge on the west side of Rt. 70.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Pine Baron, I also remember walking the tracks as a child. I recall some sort of concrete railroad bridge on the west side of Rt. 70.

c1nj-

Not sure what you mean by the "west" side of Rte#70. The highway runs east/west. The tracks ran east out of Medford and turned north along side the Indian Chief Tavern, crossing Rte#70. This is the bridge I remember, crossing Sharp's Run a couple hundred yards north of Rte#70.

Took these pics today parked in the Medford Leas maintenance parking lot.
(View looking east)

Is this the concrete bridge you remember?

John-

John:

Medford is the site of some interesting bit of South Jersey railroad lore. After service on the Philadelphia, Marlton & Medford ended, the Pennsylvania Railroad tore up all of the track from the line except the sidings and yard trackage surrounding the old Medford Station and serving the Kirby Bros. feed mill. Within two years of the PM&M’s demise, the State of New Jersey brokered the formation of the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines (May 1933). When that occurred, the PRSL came into possession of the PRR’s former West Jersey & Seashore trackage and the Reading Railroad’s Atlantic City Railroad. The section of trackage in Medford from the PM&M belonged to the WJ&S, so it passed to the PRSL. Meanwhile, the Mount Holly, Lumberton & Medford Railroad was a wholly owned subsidiary of the Pennsylvania Railroad. So, every time the PRR delivered cars to Medford, it had to pay the PRSL for the use of its tracks. It is surprising that the PRR never negotiated trackage rights with the PRSL, but as far as I know, it never did.

Obviously, this was just an accounting issue, but it is still an interesting story!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

P.S. I love the 1911 bridge photo!!

John:

Since you are interested in Medford history, here is a letter that appeared in the pages of Mount Holly’s New Jersey Mirror in February 1875 about Meford’s earliest years:

MEDFORD AS IT WAS

Editor, Mirror:

I see every week in the Mirror something concerning Medford. Most of it is relating to the enterprising men of “the great city,” as some have termed it. Yet no one has given any description of it in former days when it contained twenty houses. A school-boy there sixty years ago, I well remember how it looked at that time; and will give a description. There were then only two streets, Main street and the Shinntown road, as it was called, and is now the pike that leads to Marlton. Where the bank now stands was a two-story frame house, the residence of John Stokes a cooper; where Isaac W. Stokes lives was a small one-story house belonging to the widow Jones. Jesse Thomas’ house was then the residence of William Jones’ a shoe-maker. Where Glover’s hotel now is, was a small one-story house of James Riley; William Stokes’ house was then a story and a half; where Caleb Stokes lived back of the two houses, the late Kitterah Riley built, stood an old two-story frame house of John Riley, who made cider and whisky; and two women were there murdered while at breakfast, by John Riley, son of John Riley. Below near the landing bridge were two small houses belonging to Mark Reeve; one was called “the salt-box house” in which Hugh Akins lived, the other was occupied by Jonathan Braddock. On the opposite side of the street, was a small shoe-maker shop in which Daniel Brown worked. Above that on the hill, where Edward Reeve lives, was Isaac Wilson’s, who had a tan-yard. Next to that was a small frame house where Isaac Garwood lived. Between these two houses, a lane led to the Friends’ Meeting-house. At the corner where Jacob Braddock lives, Lawrence Webster lived; he was a saddler and harness-maker; his barn was used for a market house, and Isaac Wilkins sold meat once a week. On the opposite corner of the Shinntown road, where Shivers’ hotel is, was a lumber yard of Mark Reeve. Adjoining that on Main street, where Lewis Branin is, Richard Reeve lived, and was a cabinet-maker. Next to that, on the corner of a small alley, Jane Shinn sold cakes; the house is now occupied by Oliphant’s girls. Near that was the Evesham Library. Farther on was a two story home, near where the late Dr. H. P. Ely built, which was owned by Joseph Huston, a blacksmith. Below, near Haines run, was a frame house belonging to Robert Braddock, who made pumps. Over the run on the opposite side of the street was Isaac Haines’ farm house. On the same side above the run some distance was the residence of Benjamin Haines, who was a farmer also. The house stood back from the street, being the same situation where Milton H. Allen’s boarding school is. Then came Mark Reeve’s store and house, now occupied by John A. Lamb. Going down the Shinn road, below the hotel we come to where J. Newbold Reeve lives, at that time Isaac Stokes. Next to that is a low frame house where Isaac Lippincott lived, now Elwood Dudley. Near that Nicholas Hoile, the property now belonging to the heirs of Priscilla Reeve. Some distance from there was Jane Sleeper’s house, which was rebuilt by Gideon Ferguson. Back of that was an old log-house of Edmund Haines. Beyond, back from the road a short distance, was Barzilla Braddock’s farm house, and a wheel-wright shop, now owned by Barclay Haines. On the opposite side of the road from Jane Sleeper’s, was the Friends’ Meeting-house, it being a low brick building forming an L. It was torn down, and the present one built in 1814. The Friends’ burying ground was on the west side of the yard; it is considerably larger now. Inside of the Meeting-house yard opposite to where the drive-way from Main street now is, there was a small burying ground for colored people. Now if Ben Ebon or Gus Slim can give a better description of the little city at that date, I should like to hear from them.

A NATIVE.

February 18, 1875

I hope you enjoy the read!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Jerseyman-

The PRR actually had control of the WJ&S at one time. Why they didn't make a deal with the PRSL, which ended up subsidized by the Reading RR, and how they lost it, is confusing.

the Pennsylvania Railroad tore up all of the track from the line except the sidings and yard trackage surrounding the old Medford Station and serving the Kirby Bros. feed mill.

There is still one small stretch of track along side Kirby's. The rest is all gone now.

Thank you, also, for posting this old letter. If my math is correct, the "native" is writing about the year 1815. At this time, the town was still part of Evesham, 32 years before Medford was incorporated. Most of my readings have been of Medford after 1847. Just recently learned of Shinntown (Hartford Rd & Union St) and Shinntown Rd, which is now the Old Marlton Pike. You've given me many new names and businesses to study.

I enjoyed the read very much,
Thanx again

John-

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Sorry for disappearing after posting this! I just wanted to thank Jerseyman and Pine Baron for the incredible info and research concerning the old taven. Its threads like this that show how valuable of an information source this site is, especially thanks to its learned members. I drove by here on Monday (11-16-09) and was surprised to see it's still standing, it hasn't met the wrecking ball... yet.

Thanks again!

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
They've been working on this since the demolition, right through the winter. The foundation and floor joists were in by the middle of Jan. This was taken last Wednesday, Feb 3rd. They're making good progress.

Attachments

• Stagecoach.jpg
    Stagecoach.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 547

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Stagecoach Stop 8.23.10

Stagecoach.JPG

I went by here yesterday and it looks like the bldg. is complete except for tennants. It doesn't remind me of the old place at all. There is no name on the bldg. and it may not be the Stagecoach Stop anymore.