The town of Red Lion

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I used to go by the Inn every morning on my way to work when I was 18. I made apple cider at "Jersey Jerry's" apple orchard in Vincentown.

I used to hitchike to work. People tolerated that a lot back then............

bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

You might find this interesting. I cut the bottom off of it where it tells the farm it is from. It is not mine and it is a collectors item that was scanned and sent to me by someone I know. He found it when he was a little boy in the trash behind the farm just after it closed down. The farm no longer exists.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/jersey.jpg

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is really cool Guy. I printed it out.

One of my first jobs at the farm was painting the cider wagon that used to sit out front across the street as part advertisement for the farm.

I saw the owner of Jerry's about 2 years ago at Basto Living Country Fair. He now collects apple peelers and he was exhibiting them. There are all kinds, mechanical and powered. His were antiques. I wanted to introduce myself to see if he remembered me, but someone else was always talking to him.

I used to make cider with an immigrant from Puerto Rico. He did not speak english or understand it, so we just grinned at each other all day and used body language to indicate what we wanted done.

Ever go to that country fair? Its the best!

bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
That is really cool Guy. I printed it out.

One of my first jobs at the farm was painting the cider wagon that used to sit out front across the street as part advertisement for the farm.

I saw the owner of Jerry's about 2 years ago at Basto Living Country Fair. He now collects apple peelers and he was exhibiting them. There are all kinds, mechanical and powered. His were antiques. I wanted to introduce myself to see if he remembered me, but someone else was always talking to him.

I used to make cider with an immigrant from Puerto Rico. He did not speak english or understand it, so we just grinned at each other all day and used body language to indicate what we wanted done.

Ever go to that country fair? Its the best!

bob

Also interesting Bob! It would have been nice to talk to him at the fair, you may have found out some interesting info.

Apple Cider is best when fresh, so I bet it really tasted good! Once it sits awhile it get a odd taste. At least I think so.

I have never been to the Country Fair, in fact I have only been to Batsto twice, and only once did I walk the complete property.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Apple cider fresh off the press is like liquid apples. I can taste it now, sweet and cool. The tatste was intense.

You'd be surprised how many bruised apples go into the batch. The bees are in the thousands as they hover around the press and take a drink. If you don't bother them, they don't bother you, I did not get stung once, and I believe they were yellow jackets.

I remember he had an apple store on the property. You went in and selected your own from the various bins and paid on the honor system. You paid for the cider via a vending machine contraption.

bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
I remember he had an apple store on the property. You went in and selected your own from the various bins and paid on the honor system. You paid for the cider via a vending machine contraption.

bob

Those were the days.

Congrats on being a Scout.(100 posts).

Guy