"The Triangle"

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I have been reading a number of old newspaper articles about deer hunting in the Pines. Several stories from the 1930s make mention of a popular hunting area called “The Triangle”. Many other more familiar places like Hog Wallow, Four Mile, Woodmansie, Goose Pond, and the Barnegat Plains are referenced too. Presumably the area is not far from Chatsworth. I was wondering if anyone ever heard the old-timers talk about the place and where exactly it might have been.

The most tangible lead I have is the following account: Bill Simmons, of Heath Manor, had little difficulty in getting his venison. With three companions, he was hunting in a cranberry bog along the Plains Road, near the Chatsworth Road. The spot is embraced in what is known to Trenton hunters as “The Triangle”.

Surely the Plains Road is Route 72 but what is the Chatsworth Road? 532? 563? Savoy?

Thoughts?

Rich

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Several of the articles mention "Tin Can Road", "Finger Swamps", and "The Saw Mill". I would love to know where such places were located. Most of the accounts are from the Trenton Evening Times and date from 1932 to 1935. It is possible that these place names were not used by the locals.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Surely the Plains Road is Route 72 but what is the Chatsworth Road? 532? 563? Savoy?

Thoughts?

Rich

It appears to me that 532 is usually called the Chatsworth Barnegat Road in old articles. So I am leaning towards 563. I seem to remember a few articles calling it that and will have to check to see if I can find them again.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
July 8 1926 Courier Post talks about oiling highways.

.....and the highway from New Lisbon through Four-Mile Colony to the Chatsworth Road.

This was before 72 was built and it seems they stopped where present 72 meets 563 (Chatsworth Road)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think this pretty much tells us Chatsworth Road is 563 from 72 (Buddtown Road) to Chatsworth.

July 27, 1927 Courier Post

An appropriation of $10,000 was voted to Burlington County to aid in improvement of the Buddtown road (present 72) from Chatsworth Road (563) to the Ocean County Line. The new road (72) will cut across the "jersey plains" and will provide a short-cut in that section.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
However, this challenges that theory.

Two Splendid farms in Burlington County to be sold at bargain prices to quickly settle an estate. Cooper Taylor Farm of approximately 146 acres and the Thomas Blaszak farm of approximately 159 acres. Both farms are located on Chatsworth Road, on quarter mile from Tabernacle.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Isn't that just the old tradition of naming roads based on their destination? If you were in Tabernacle, it would be "Chatsworth Road" but if you were in Chatsworth it would be "Tabernacle Road". The full name in that case would typically be "Tabernacle-Chatsworth Road".

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Looking at the map 532,72 and Savoy do make sort of a triangle.

I thought the same thing. Topo maps show a small cranberry bog on Biddle Branch very near the intersection of route 72 (the Plains Road) and 532 (possibly the Chatsworth Road). That small bog appears to be the only one within that triangle. Much larger bogs appear outside of that triangle but I am thinking your suspicion could very well be correct.

Thanks.