They're heere...

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The scourge of all things mammalian have made their debut appearance for 2012 in P'town this morning.
While running the dogs this morning along the bogs I was bitten three times by the one of the most irritating insects on the planet, the DEER FLY.

It looks like the warm, muggy weather has pulled the trigger on the hatch of these razor toothed bast#rds.

It is comforting to know they are vectors for just about eveything but syphilis and the common cold.
:eek:
Who knew ?

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2115.html

I read somewhere before that deer flies are attracted to bright blue colors. I read an article about a farmer who used to suspend a blue bucket on a mast off of his tractor and the deer flies would buzz the bucket and leave him alone.

This guy is capitalizing on that trait.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Deer-Fly-Traps/

Enjoy the woods fellow hosts !

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I hate deer flies! They can be absolutely tormenting. They usually go for the back or side of your neck, your ears or the side of your face. I wear a hat and drape a bug net over it and tuck it into the collar of my shirt. You can buy insect head nets in the camping section of Walmart or Dick's for around $2-$3. But there is one brand that is sold where the mesh is too tight and it obstructs your vision. Avoid that one. Once you find a good brand of head net, buy a half dozen. When you're out hiking and 20 deer flies are circling your head, they're worth their weight in gold. You can always sell the extras to other hikers out on the trail for $100 a piece. :D

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
They were brutal this afternoon and evening. I used Off on top of my Permethrin coated clothes and the combo held the flies at bay. They still used me like a pylon at an air race though, swarming around me lap after lap. I don't think I would have lasted long if I wasn't using any chemicals for protection.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yeah about the end of july,the greenheads last a little longer near open water.by mid august all thats left is ticks,skeeters though their dying down too and then the chiggers hit the grass running and last in till october!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
With the crazy weather this year, who knows what will happen? It feels more like August than May today. :cool:

Boyd, I've noticed a change over the past 5-8 years....August used to be the humid rainy month, but now it's drying out and May-June have taken that role.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just got back from Wharton.There were a few deer flies but nothing like the swarms that come later.There were maybe three around the truck as i drove a tight road and normally in june/july there would be fifty flies around each side view mirror.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Lebanon was very bad. The moment I stepped out of the truck, they were on me. The swamp areas are already horrible. Hopefully it is an early peak, but who knows. I agree, with Boyd and Bob, that the seasons are going through a different cycle. Again, who knows what will happen this summer.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Me and Whip just got tore up in the woods between Newport and Fortescue.I mean tore up from the floor up.You couldn't talk or you'd eat em.We were smearing deep woods OFF on as fast as we could and they licked it ,belched real big and then bit down.He had fifty on his back at any time and I had to look at the ground because everytime I looked up they flew into my eyes and up my nose.I had a sprig of reed and bayberry in each hand slappin for all i was worth and they still chewed me up.

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
The only way I could find to consistently keep them off me was to constantly waive a small pine branch over my head. It confuses them enough to keep them from landing. I know it probably looks funny but the only alternative is to stay in the truck with the windows up.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The only way I could find to consistently keep them off me was to constantly waive a small pine branch over my head. It confuses them enough to keep them from landing. I know it probably looks funny but the only alternative is to stay in the truck with the windows up.

How about Deely Boppers?

Reactions: dogg57