This camera has the most insane zoom we've ever seen

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Honestly, I have never been impressed with the zoom function or it's capabilities on a camera. I rarely use it. But hey, that's just me, today. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Impressive, but have a good tripod to use it ;)

Much better than trying to handhold this one though :D

00610cceadde.jpg

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I am not impressed at all. I am in constant search for an all around field camera, pocket able and rugged and have yet to find the ideal one. This camera has the smallest commonly used sensor size, 1/2.3. It also has a very slow lens, f2.8 - 6.5. This combination will give it poor low light performance and focusing ability. I have previously been using a Panasonic ZS-20, but this type of camera always failed because of dust interfering with the movement of the lens. I am currently using an Olympus TG-4 adventure camera. It still has the small 1/2.3 sensor but has a faster f2.0 -4.9 lens. The telescoping function, to 4x, occurs inside the housing so I can keep it on the dash or in my pocket. I have taken nice underwater video with it, but it still likes plenty of light. In video mode it's focusing ability in low light conditions is very poor. My quest goes on.

Sensor size chart.
camera-sensor-sizes.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I am currently using an Olympus TG-4 adventure camera. It still has the small 1/2.3 sensor but has a faster f2.0 -4.9 lens. The telescoping function, to 4x, occurs inside the housing so I can keep it on the dash or in my pocket. I have taken nice underwater video with it, but it still likes plenty of light. In video mode it's focusing ability in low light conditions is very poor. My quest goes on.

f2-4.9 is about the best you will find for the 'rugged' P&S cameras. These types of camera's obviously have their limits. The mirrorless cameras are relatively small with good optics, but no one makes a rugged model, although there are housings for them. A couple are full frame, most APC and a few 4 thirds. Bigger than a P&S, smaller than a DSLR. Expensive.

I use a ZS-20 for a carry around; keep it cased and works well for what I use it for. I bought a housing for it, but haven't had a need to use it yet.